A bit worried

Sai

Dec 14, 2019
Hi,
I am communicating with someone I met off craigslist about adopting a baby cockatiel.
The bird looks pretty good, a few pin feathers but to be expected on a baby.
Now the owner is telling me that it is both hand fed and hand tamed for a price of only $100, wow, what a steal!

I posted an ad saying I would like a bird and they contacting me along with five images of the baby.
I said I was very interested and eventually started talking to them about gender testing.
They said it will be an extra $15 for the test.
It has now been two weeks since they “sent out the dna” and are assuring me that it takes up to three weeks to get results.
Is this true?
I’ve also asked for additional photos of the baby but have not recipient any, or a response.
This is some what alarming and I feel as if I am being scammed or deceived.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
100 sounds right for a cocktail on craigslist. They my not want to bother with DNA tho, are you wanting a certain sex? I had to pay first for my Neptune DNA test as I did want a male, but I met the breeder in person..

OP
S

Sai

Dec 14, 2019
100 sounds right for a cocktail on craigslist. They my not want to bother with DNA tho, are you wanting a certain sex? I had to pay first for my Neptune DNA test as I did want a male, but I met the breeder in person..

We are meeting in person and I am paying them $115 cash in hand for the Bird. I am not sure if DNA tests take as long as he said though.

OP
S

Sai

Dec 14, 2019
Easiest way to prevent scamming is to perform the transaction in person, in cash. No idea if this is a legitimate offer or not, but in my experience things that are too good to be true almost invariably are.

I am meeting them in person, but they live 20 minutes away for me and I will be paying them cash in hand, they did not ask for me to pay anything over the phone or online. I am just not sure how long DNA tests take

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Easiest way to prevent scamming is to perform the transaction in person, in cash. No idea if this is a legitimate offer or not, but in my experience things that are too good to be true almost invariably are.

I am meeting them in person, but they live 20 minutes away for me and I will be paying them cash in hand, they did not ask for me to pay anything over the phone or online. I am just not sure how long DNA tests take

The length of time will depend upon the lab, if they get swamped turnaround will be slower than usual, to add to what our lovely Laurasea commented on, if you want a specific gender (males are well known for whistling I believe) then bring a phone with internet access to the meetup and look up the lab when you are given results, alternatively see if the bird displays a propensity to behave as you want, if it does, who cares, great bird...if you get the heebie jeebies at any point, keep your money in your pocket and walk away, as a guy who owns a business,the saying "The customer is always right." is an infuriating reality, you really are in charge until money changes hands.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Have they done any testing for polyoma, pssitacosis, polyoma pbfd etc?
Those are hugely important and a good breeder should have done at least the first 3 (the 4th will probably be on you).
If you have any other birds (or plan to get other birds) I would be VERY careful about making sure you are not bringing a diseased bird into your home (as diseases can linger in a home long after the bird is gone).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts