A companion for my male eclectus Kiwi

Ctroudt1

Nov 23, 2023
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
So recently our other bird died and has a bene a companion to my parrot for over 15 years, and I noticed my eclectus has stopped talking as much and is alot sadder, I want to get another parrot as a buddy for him but I'm unsure what species or age I should get the second bird.. my kiwi hatched in 2001 so hes an older guy id like a double yellow headed Amazon or another eclectus ugh please help

OP
C

Ctroudt1

Nov 23, 2023
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Also, if another parrot pairing isnt a good idea what route should I take? His former buddy that died was a cockatiel

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. I am sorry that you lost one of your flock. HOnestly, I always recommend that you get an additional parrot only if YOU yourself want one, not as a buddy or friend for your existing one. I think that with time, your Ekkie will get over his sad, especially if you have a good strong bond with him (if not, try working on that!). Adding an additional parrot to a flock will aways affect the flock dynamics and not always in a positive manner. Things usually go one of several different ways; New and old bird love each other and not you; they hate each other but old one still loves you; Old one now hates you but new one loves you, and on and on. There is no way to predict how the dynamics will change. Think hard on this.

OP
C

Ctroudt1

Nov 23, 2023
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Welcome and be welcomed. I am sorry that you lost one of your flock. HOnestly, I always recommend that you get an additional parrot only if YOU yourself want one, not as a buddy or friend for your existing one. I think that with time, your Ekkie will get over his sad, especially if you have a good strong bond with him (if not, try working on that!). Adding an additional parrot to a flock will aways affect the flock dynamics and not always in a positive manner. Things usually go one of several different ways; New and old bird love each other and not you; they hate each other but old one still loves you; Old one now hates you but new one loves you, and on and on. There is no way to predict how the dynamics will change. Think hard on this.
I really appreciate that so much this is the type of answers Ive been needing! Definitely more to think about them I had previously thought

Most Reactions

Latest posts