A couple pics of Rosie and Kenji

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I took these recently and thought they were lovely.

Rosie, she was so happy when I took this photo. I love when I capture true happiness rather then just excitement at my actions.

tumblr_mkpee8QTZJ1rs86coo1_1280.jpg

And some new photos of Kenji, Since I only had one good photo of him I was eager to get more.

tumblr_mkpaq3SbsG1s9o2fio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mkpaq3SbsG1s9o2fio3_1280.jpg

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Oh i just asked you if you had kenji pics on another thread lol. I love that first pic of Kenji

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hmmm, guess I can understand why you've got Rosie in your avatar.....must look better.....

Last edited:
OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Oh i just asked you if you had kenji pics on another thread lol. I love that first pic of Kenji
I must of read your mind lol I also love the first photo :)

Hmmm, guess I can understand why you've got Rosie in your avatar.....must look better.....
I actually hadn't even thought about my signature or avatar for a long time, I just updated the avatar with the above above photo and I'm about to change the signature to a photo of both of them :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Beautiful birds! I wish I could take pictures that well!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ashley, you should post pictures MUCH more often. :D Rosie and Kenji are both gorgeous, and your photos are simply WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Beautiful birds and excellent photography. I always look forward to your photos.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
@jerseywendy & @ruffledfeathers

Thank you so much! I love taking photos, I'm working on my BFA in photography :) I'm hoping to publish a fine art parrot book within 5 years. I don't post too many picture threads because I worry about spamming with my photos lol

I'm trying to get a photo of Kinji on my floor, but he isn't ready yet and I'll be making him nervous when our trust is still building. And my 23rd birthday is coming up on the 22nd, I'm going to dress up and have a friend use my camera to work on getting some photos of Rosie flying to me in a beautiful field of alfalfa down the street from my house. It's my dream shot to get her just inches from landing on my hand with good composition and wing placement, only downside is she'll be in her harness, but way better safe than sorry. I'll absolutley be posting those pics :D

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You must be aware of Andrew Zuckerman?
Andrew Zuckerman: Bird

I love love love his photos! And wish I had a camera that could take photos with the quality of his shots!

If you did something like him, only with parrots specifically, it would be a to die for book!

Oh, and can't wait for the photos of Rosie and you!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You must be aware of Andrew Zuckerman?
Andrew Zuckerman: Bird

I love love love his photos! And wish I had a camera that could take photos with the quality of his shots!

If you did something like him, only with parrots specifically, it would be a to die for book!

Oh, and can't wait for the photos of Rosie and you!
I love him, one of my favorite photographers. I've actually done two projects on him for school.

He takes amazing bird photos, I wish I could do similar but I just don't have the funds. I could rent a studio and strobes, but I won't be able to afford a $3,000-$12,000+(that's just the body, lenses are bought separately) full frame camera that will give the same incredible crisp image. That is definitely a dream of mine though! One day I might :D Hopefully I'll be more well known one day and be able to do that.

And thanks, I'm also excited. Hopefully they will meet my expectations.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I haven't actually looked into any DSL cameras or anything high tech because I'd be afraid that I'd never use it enough to get proper usage from it. I don't want it to become an expensive paper weight!

But ya, I agree with you! Wish I could afford all that he has! lol

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have always wanted to take the plunge into even a "good" camera even if not that hugely expensive. (you know, like a $3000 one including one lens, something like that). I still have my 35mm film camera that i got when i was a kid. I was moderately 'into it' as a 12 year old. It is so old school now. (it is an early 1980's Canon AE1 with a couple lenses and filters, power winder, hot shoe flash, etc). think about that. a power winder?? it sounds so old. manually cranking film. I have to say it had its charm though. If i ever take the plunge and spend on a nice DSLR, i think i will have to make sure i thoroughly learn to use it, to make the most of all it can do.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
@monica
I can understand your worry, a expensive paperweight is pointless lol. When I got my DSLR I didn't take the best photos. They were decent but not great. After one semester of classes I was 100% better because I understood how my camera worked. I'm always using manual and I know how to use a camera to it's fullest. Taking classes helped me to from a person with a camera to a photographer.

@ruffledfeathers
I'd like a $3,000 ;) a class mate had one of the $3,000 full frame nikon cameras. It was AMAZING!

When I got my camera it cost $1,300 with a kit lense. Now that camera is a few years old and sells for $500 or less. Just like other tech cameras will go down in price when new stuff comes out. Just look around and find the best reviewed cameras, a $1000-$2000 may have been $5,000 a few years earlier and amazing.

Also, keep in mind that unlike SLR camera's, that last forever, the DSLR's do wear out over time. If you take a five hundred to a thousand photos weekly it should wear out in around 5 years.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Beautiful photos! :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
On the theme of cameras (should probably make a new thread), I've got some photos I've taken with my cheap Canon (cheap at $200... lol more than expensive enough for me! for now). It's a Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS.

Reno & Sparks - a set on Flickr
California - a set on Flickr

Recently took some more images of night shots... haven't seen the images full size yet so I don't know how well they turned out... but looking forward to uploading to comp and hopefully some to the Flickr account, too! I do like how some of the photos turned out, and I think I figured out how to make some look even better! But... camera and lights at night don't come out nicely... which would require a special lens and my camera is not designed to take attachments! Which is it's down side... but I really didn't want to shell out $400-$500 or more for a better camera... so it's good enough for me!

Only thing, I never like how photos of my pets come out! They always appear dull and lifeless compared to some other peoples photos! And the best picture I've ever taken of one of my pets was done on a much crappier camera! (a 4 mega pixel one... Olympus D-580 Zoom... it was a 'shoot and click' without even viewing the image I was taking [camera facing towards me] and when I first saw it, I didn't even realize I had taken it!).

I'd love to do photography as a hobby, and probably should take a class!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Those are pretty good photo's, I love the Canadian geese with goslings. Those night photos really aren't that bad, my camera would need a slow shutter so unless I was using a tripod(or holding super still and holding my breath) they would come out blurry.

You would love a photography class :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I had to take many night shots to be happy with the ones that I had... and often, I can't tell how nice they are until I upload them to a computer! They may appear nice on the tiny screen, but once seen full size, they are blurry... so I find myself taking multiple photos at the same angle/distance before moving or changing anything.

I *do* have a tri-pod, but haven't really used it... it's a short one, and I think it's the only down side... lol I do take it with me at times, but then never end up using it... often moving around too often and just not used to using one, I suppose.

Thanks though! And I do have more photos to upload now! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts