A Cup of Tea - Mookie

Polgara99

Sep 8, 2010
Hello everyone,

Great forum and a big resource. I just wanted to ask if any of your parrots have tea? I am aware you should not gove them caffiene but when I put the kettle on she shouts out 'cup of tea'.

I make a water based cuppa and she has a few sips and loves it I make one per day. Is that OK? This is my son's parrot but she lives downstairs so I have a lot of contact with her.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there, welcome to our wonderful forum, enjoy your stay
Tea is not good for parrots. It has way too much caffeine in it, not to mention sugar, if you sweeten the tea.
An occasional sip now and then wouldn't be too bad, but keep to absolute minimum if at all.
I don't let Mishka, my African Grey have it because I want her to be healthy. I would rather be safe, than sorry.
Many members will hopefully give their opinion regarding both tea and coffee.

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Welcome to the forum! :D

When my parrot arrived she drank tea as if it was the only thing she's ever known. I slowly converted her to fruit juicy, it took about a week. She now wants her juice every morning and does not even try and get to my tea cup anymore. ;)

OP
P

Polgara99

Sep 8, 2010
Thank you all for your comments and will continue to learn from this forum. I have a great video of Mookie chatting away so I will try and post for everyones amusement and a picture.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thank you all for your comments and will continue to learn from this forum. I have a great video of Mookie chatting away so I will try and post for everyones amusement and a picture.

Glad you are finding the forum helpful. :D
When posting the video, please go into "Our" Birds Talking and post the video there. There after, when Mookie, is saying new words, saying etc, you add another video in that thread. Makes it so easy for everyone to view the video's in one post.
Thanking you in advance

Can't wait to see the video get moving girl !!!!!! :p

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Interesting fact, tea actually has more caffine than coffee, by dry weight, once brewed however coffee has more, in either case, caffine is known to be harmful to birds, so if she just can't kick the habit at the very least use a decafinated brand ;)......welcome to the forum :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
My Grey loved soda. I think he found the "stinging" sensation of the carbonation interesting on his always-tasting tongue. In fact, you pretty much couldn't walk by his cage with a glass without him chiming in "want some coke?"

A little slurp of caffeine-free diet once in a while seemed to make him very happy. He'd always take a taste, then say "mmmmmmm...<smack, smack smack> that's good."

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
It's kind of strange how we find so many things wrong with foods we feed or attempt to feed our pets, but give very little thought into consuming them ourselves! :11:

Last edited:

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
speaking of odd bird beverage tastes, Ms. Prissy Beak is quite sure that beer is something birds should be allowed to have. She doesn't get all excited with soda, or even fruit-juice (though she does love a spoonfull or two of orange juice), like she does when I pop a beer open. I have never allowed her to have any, and don't plan on it ever happening, but she gets so exciited and grabby when there is beer around! It's a bit silly really...

Most Reactions

Latest posts