A&E vs Cagesforunder500 vs Kings

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I have some cage questions, never thought choosing a cage would be this hard!
I REALLY like the A&E cage and the price is good I but am worried about the quality of it and it will not be easy to return bits from Canada if they are damaged but that goes for all the cages

A&E Cage Co. Medium Victorian Top Bird Cage | Wayfair

This one gives the bird more space but might be a bugger to clean with the tray so close to the ground. Does it matter that all the bars are horizontal? Has anyone heard of this company?

Large Bird Cages : Scalloped Top Bird Cage - 35"W X 24"D X 69"H large macaw cages, African gray cages, toucan cage

The Kings cage is nice but am not sure it is worth the extra $100

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Thanks for any opinions:)

Irene

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Kings is considered one of the best brands out there! I've been considering buying a Kings Double Stack if I have to ever move my birds into a smaller area.

I don't like "open top" cages until the doors can be secured shut or open at all times. I've already have heard the death of one bird due to an open top cage (while the bird was inside), and one was enough.... and I had hoped to have never heard of one incident... so if you get an open top cage, please make sure it has extra ways to remain closed from the outside!!! Or remain open besides using the perch!

Can't say which cage is the best beyond that... of the cages of mine that have legs (3 with separated stands, 1 without), I can't necessarily say one is sturdier than the other as long as all the bolts are tight!!! Although the more room the merrier!!!!

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
I'm not a big fan of scalloped top/open top cages either. I have three of them. First one I bought, but the other two came with the birds when I rescued them, so I didn't have a choice. I have a,Macaw size scalloped top and I hate it. We have a b&g in it and she's a hand full right now with attitude and step up training. When you go to get her out she goes to the top of the cage and you all but have to crawl in the cage to get her. Sbe needs something smaller. I prefer playtop cages by far.

OP
R

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I guess I should have said that I was only going to use it closed. I think it is more attractive than the standard dome tops and make it more interesting for the bird to climb on. I do not like play tops, so those are out.
Any thought on the second one with only horizontal bars?

Irene

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
There are some stores in Onterio that you could visit aren't there? There's only one here in BC worth going to and it's 5 hours from me :(. I'm saving for this cage for my CAG hens; I love the style!

AE-GC6-4032-SS%7E%7E.gif

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
What kind of bird do you have? The only negative about having the tray close to the ground is my dog had learned how to pull it out. ... yuck!

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
I have spent months and lots of Emails contacting the manufacturers and its frustrating for sure. First of all there are no American manufacturers that offer powdercoated cages. Stainless steel was not an option for us as we dont like the clinical look of them nor the reflection they have. I was worried about the quality but most important the safety concerning zinc in the paint. Also the location of the feeders was a concern as we prefer them much lower than the ones most offer. And of course the ability to return the cage was important especially if the cage tested high for zinc and or lead. Most of the manufacturers responded with quick comments as if they have answered these questions before. Avian Adventures did send a letter from 2011 from a lab that tested their cages. Kings no longer makes their european cages in Europe. A and E would not return a cage that tested high. I didnt bother with HQ based on the articles I've read.
Finally I decided to purchase the Avian Adventures Grande dometop thru petco as I have in writing they would take the cage back for any reason including testing and I can do so at a nearby store. The Avian Adventures cage also had lower feeders. I am waiting for the cage to arrive but today I spoke with the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic laboratory, in fact I spoke with the actual Dr. who does the testing. He was amazing, friendly and informative and willing to discuss the topic of zinc and cages and understood our concerns. As soon as it arrives I will get the cage tested and results should be back within a few days after they receive the sample.

OP
R

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There are some stores in Onterio that you could visit aren't there? There's only one here in BC worth going to and it's 5 hours from me :(. I'm saving for this cage for my CAG hens; I love the style!
I am in the same boat. The big bird stores are in S. Ontario or Toronto, nothing much in Ottawa where I am. Toronto would be at least a 4 hour drive each way for me. Mail order will have to do, although it sure would be nice to actually see and touch it before you bought something so expensive.

Irene

OP
R

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What kind of bird do you have? The only negative about having the tray close to the ground is my dog had learned how to pull it out. ... yuck!

Guess I should have done a multiple quote:)
I am thinking about a TAG, a friend has some babies and would like me to take one. I am still not sure I wouldn't really like a CAG instead so I am on the fence.
I hadn't thought about dogs getting into the lower pull out tray. I have 2 labs that would be in it in a heartbeat.

Irene

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
TAG's are almost identical to CAGs in their behaviour. Many books I've read suggest that TAGs may even be a touch more stable in their behaviour. I can never find TAGs around, it's so cool that you have options!

Most Reactions