A&E vs Prevue cages

NatureBoy

Mar 24, 2013
So, as some of you may know from my thread in the African Grey forum, I'm interested in purchasing an African Grey potentially as soon as this August. I've been heavily researching cages, and I've narrowed it down to 2 cages due to the fact that they're readily available and seem affordable. I've linked the 2 below. However, I'm looking for some insight on which would be a better quality cage between the 2. I've read some reviews that say the Prevue is difficult to set up and might not be the best quality. At this stage, I'm leaning toward the A&E. If anyone has any input on these 2 cages, or perhaps can suggest a better cage in the 5-600 dollar range I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

A&E Cage Company Macaw Mansion Dometop Bird Cage at PETCO

Prevue Pet Products Large Royalty Bird Cage - Bird - Boutique - PetSmart

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I have had my Avian adventure cages (oldest being 19yrs) all my birds are still in there original cages .. only issue I have is slight rust on the bottom tray of my amazon( she loves to bath in her water bowl.. And my GW snapped a few of the welds..which I was able to braze without issue....I'm told the newer cages are not as well built.. I haven't seen one to compare..

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I checked out the prevue cage and wonder why the seed guard is so high. On the A&E, I don't see any bolts that attach the front panels to the dome. The only reason why I bring that up is because my HQ didn't either and the frames at the top are not flush. Hopefully other brands are better.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I checked out the prevue cage and wonder why the seed guard is so high. On the A&E, I don't see any bolts that attach the front panels to the dome. The only reason why I bring that up is because my HQ didn't either and the frames at the top are not flush. Hopefully other brands are better.

I have that A&E dome pictured and the dome is part of the front and back panels. The sides are shorter and the curved top comes in 2 pieces. All is bolted together well.

I read about that gap in the newer HQ cages. This A & E cage is not like that. I've been really happy with it -- I just happen to prefer the play top style because my birds are out so much.

I know nothing about Prevue so can't comment there.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Between the two, I would recommend the A&E. Not a fan of that style of Prevue cage...

I wouldn't be surprised if A&E and HQ are like "sister" companies because many of their cages are so similar.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would say A&e my m2 is in a stainless dome top from them and I love it as well a couple of my others have those cages. When we get a bird with a prevue cage at the rescue it has never impressed me to much. They just seem very unsturdy compared to a&e, by far though California cages are my favorite and that is what most of my macaws are in, to bad they went out of business:(.

Yeah Monica I believe there is some ownership in both of the companies the designs are practically the same...

OP
N

NatureBoy

Mar 24, 2013
Thank you everyone for the replies. It appears that my suspicion was correct and the A&E is the better quality cage. I'm stuck on which style to choose from, now. I really like the idea of the play-top style, because I want to have my bird out and about as much as possible. However, with the bird being in the cage while I'm at work from 8:30-5:00 I also want it to have as much room as possible and it looks like the inside dimensions of the play-top are smaller. This will be a tough decision!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
LOL, it's like trying to decide between a motor home or a travel trailer! Both have advantages.

I have both of these cages (many play tops) and if they sit side by side the difference is the area devoted to the play top on that style, is enclosed on the dome top style. So yes, there is about a foot more height inside the dome top.

Regardless which cage you choose, if there are perches near the top that is where the bird will spend the most of his time. The bottom 3 feet of either cage will get little use. Of course there are birds that will prove me wrong on this, I'm just generalizing.

Even with the shorter height the play top in a 40x30 has a lot more interior room than smaller dome top cages, so consider that too. I mean, lots of birds live in smaller cages than either of these so you are providing a nice roomy cage regardless which you choose.

Also, there is a grate on the top of the play top cage so you can hang toys there just like you do on a dome top, but the top is obviously flat.

I would say if you need your bird to play on its cage a lot due to the configuration of your home and where the cage will sit, compared to play stands around the house as well as flat surfaces available to the bird to fool with toys and balls and chewables, then get the play top. If he won't be near his cage much when he is out while you are home, then get the dome top.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
I have a Prevue cage for my cockatiel. So far, it has been working out well for me. I find it easy to clean and my cockatiel loves playing on the top. The only issue I had with the cage was at assembly time. The instructions that came with it were horrible. The cages you picked out are great choices.

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
Check out:

Avian Emporium: Bird Cages, Flight and Parrot Cages, Breeder Bird Cages - FREE SHIPPING OVER $100!

M&D Bird Farm: MDBirdFarm

Both offer FREE shipping. Just visited M&D Bird Farm's Retail store in Delaware last weekend. They've remodeled their Retail storre and now have a HUGE room dedicated to just cages. If I recall, they carry; A&E, Prevue, and Kings Cages. The only Kings Cages they had in stock were Kings new line of Aluminim cages. VERY light weight and will NEVER rust.

I've bought cages from BOTH places, both retail store and mail order. Both GOOD companies!

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Here's my take on these two cages:

The draw back on the prevue is think it is going to be harder to cover. I use light fleece for my covers. I recently went with all prevue cages with the exception of a petco which prevue makes. They clean really well. Prevue is not that hard to put together, i personally have put together other cages that were much harder. For me it went fast with the help of my husband. Part of my choosing prevue was that they are not powder coated, they are the only brand that uses a paint and i have found them to hold up longer. The other two major pluses to the prevue is that they make their cages with a latch that keeps the grate in place and the grate and the seed skirt have a huge space between. I will never have another cage where the grate and tray are close. The clean up is so much better with more space and i find that things stay inside better. And the last plus the seed skirt hangs out really far and when my bird is on the door or hanging on the side the potties always land on the skirt instead of the floor.

Now for the A&E. (I haven't had A &E) I think it will be easier to cover, its nice that it has a breeder door because on the bigger cages having a breeder door to stick your hand through and place a toy is helpful. The grate and the tray are going to be closer together and i don't believe the bars are as strong as prevue. It has a nice shape though.

When in too much doubt i usually pick the largest cage.***

Overstock.com is a great place to get prevue. When you enroll in club o you get money back also if you get their credit card you get more money off to spend at another point plus 6 months no interest free shipping. They have the prevue cage you are looking at and also this one http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppli...top-Cage-3155S-Silverado/4125652/product.html

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Here's something to consider.... unless you buy a cage with a switch out playtop/dometop option, once you buy a playtop, it's always a playtop. However, a dometop/flat top cage can always be designed to have a play area on the outside of the cage! And better yet, you can always change it around to suit your bird's needs! A flat top cage you could easily cover with plexiglass or something else to protect the inside items from poo as well.

Whatever your choice, I don't think you could go wrong with a 40x30 cage!

OP
N

NatureBoy

Mar 24, 2013
Thank you very much MonicaMc for that helpful insight, as that isn't something I had considered. As you can tell, I'm a complete bird novice. Is there a "kit" that is sold to convert a dome top into a play top? If so, can anyone link to it? Thanks so much in advance!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I don't think there is a "kit". You would have to build something. I have a friend that calls it a redneck play top because he created it. Remember, if you put a play top over a dome top cage you are talking way up high! Make sure you have the room.

Here is a comparison I found from Windy City parrot that may be helpful:

First, please understand the bird doesn't know the difference in the tops parrot cages. Birds like to be up high and will go to the top of the cage regardless. Playtops are really more of a convenience for you than the bird.
Dometop , Victorian (or Napoleon) top cages fall under the category of dometop bird cages but may offer doors that open on the top of the cage providing birds with an exit other than the main front door. Some of these cages may simply have a curved roof that is fixed shut
A playtop parrot cage will have at the very least a perch and food dishes on the top of the cage, some offer toys hooks. It will also have a tray under the play area, which would be the roof of the cage. Lined with newspaper, the top of the cage will remain clean as well as the interior. The tray will restrict light coming through the top of the cage so many parrot owners will choose to remove the top refuse tray and deal with the poop on the roof bars but allow the bird to enjoy natural (or artificial) light.
If a bird takes up residence on the top of a dome top cage, you'll be cleaning additional poop on the top of the cage. With a bird spending time on top of a dome top whether it be a large parrot cage or a small one, you risk "birdie boredom." With play top cages, the bird not only has a comfortable perch for their feet but food dishes help with activities such as dunking their favorite foods in the water dishes. The tray (or roof area) below can also hold foot toys such as whiffle balls that they can throw on the floor for you to retrieve providing great entertainment for your bird.
The biggest issue is where will your bird perch when not in the cage? If the cage is in a social area of your home, where all the activity is happening - TV, meals and so forth, a play top cage is ideal. When the bird is out, he or she climbs to the top and enjoy human interaction. If the cage acts more as a place to sleep, you may want to consider a dome top giving the bird more "headroom" in the cage. then introduce a parrot play stand so the bird has a place to perch when not on it's cage
Speaking of headroom, and here's where things get a little murky, due to today's advanced manufacturing techniques, many dome top parrot cages open at the top and may have a drop down landing door in front. Place an appropriate perch between the two open doors up to and you have a playtop as well. Hanging bird toys from a top opening door is the downside to this arrangement. It can be done but may prove to be impractical with certain bird toys or accessories.
In conclusion, the choice between Play Top Cages and Dome Top Cages is a matter of aesthetics and practicality.
Mitch Rezman
Vice President

Windy City Parrot, Inc.
Simply Everything for Exotic Birds

Read more: Play Top Cages vs. Dome Top Cages

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
It's not a kit so much as it is a removeable playtop.... here's an example.

Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com
"- ''Lift-Off'' playtop"

Avian Adventures Grande Bird Cage with Removable Playtop - FREE SHIPPING!
"Lift-off playpen top with a mangrove perch and two food-cup holders."

But....... you can always buy a kit!
Avian Adventures Bird Cages, Liftoff Playtop - Free Shipping & Lowest Prices!

The downside is that these cages are more expensive. They are probably better quality as well.

aboyce76

Jan 29, 2013
Inverness, FL
Parrots
2 Yellow Collared Macaws-
Liberty and Faith
Blue Crown Conure -Charlie
Parrotlet -Willow
Peach Front Conure -Honor
Senegal-Patriot
I have one of both cages. I just purchased an A&E cage for my two Yellow Collared Macaws because the Prevue cage was just to small for the girls. I love the A&E cage with the exception with the location of the seed guard. It is so close to the ground that my Faith has learned to hang off the seed catcher and jump down off of the cage. The Prevue seed catcher is up higher so she wasn't able to repel down the side of the catcher like she does with the A&E cage. Also the ground clearance under the Prevue cage is higher making it easier to clean under with out having to move the cage around so much. I do love both cages and the differences that they both offer. I will be using my Prevue cage again soon with a baby Blue Crown Conure. So I can't speak negatively about either one but figured I would give you my two cents about them. J

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Prevue cages are made so you don't have to use the play top. I do like domes but i went with all play tops because i wanted extra play areas all built in. The cool part about play tops are that you get an extra waste catcher i don't place mine in the top of the play area as intended because it makes it dark. Instead i use the waste catcher tray to swap out the one intended for the bottom of the cage. This way i always have a really clean waste catcher handy. Also it allows you to get extra dishes.

OP
N

NatureBoy

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks everyone for the valuable insight. So, it sounds like I can't really go wrong with either cage and it's basically a personal preference at this point based on what is the best fit for my living situation.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Been thinking about this post... I may be looking into purchasing a new cage soon, and was thinking about getting an A&E stacked double flight... however, I have discovered that Kings Cages also makes a similar styled cage, and for around the same price tag as well, so if I do end up buying a new cage, it'll be a Kings! If it was used, I'd be happy with the A&E! I've never owned a Kings Cage before, and they are supposed to be some of the best quality cages out there, especially since they are not known for rusting - which some of the cheaper brands (A&E and HQ included) are known for. Taken care of, they can last a long time, but improperly taken care of, or left outside, they can rust.

Most Reactions