A few questions about talking

OP
M

Mark51

Feb 19, 2018
Hi, everyone. I have a curiosity question. Let's say one puts a certain song on the radio every day for an African grey to listen to. And let's say the parrot learns to sing part of the song. Would he sing the words only? Or the words with the accompanying music? I'm curious because most videos on YouTube of singing parrots are of parrots singing words to a song and never words with music. However, most songs on the radio or cd or mp3 are never just words, but rather words with simultaneous music. It just got me thinking as to whether or not parrots will distinguish the words from the music and mimic the words only. I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences with this.
Thanks.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
It would be impossible for them to mimic an entire orchestra. It’ll be either the words or one aspect of the music - only then, a sound like a click or whistle, not a violin solo.

My boy sings the old guys and dolls song “I love you a bushel and a peck”. He sings it relatively in tune and in rhythm. But doesn’t mimic any of he music itself.

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Hi, chrs-md, thank you very much for your reply. Yes I know these things take time. And I have read a lot about talking in parrots and African greys in particular. But sometimes internet articles and guides tend to be to general and don't take into consideration the specifics of a certain situation. That is why I posted on the forum, hoping for advise from your (the experienced parrot owners) experiences with your parrots.
You said: We always say “don’t pick a bird because it can speak". And suggested focusing on building a bond. Well I think building a bond and teaching a bird to talk are not mutually exclusive. One can work on both equally and I think both efforts will be complementary. I've read a lot of posts or replies to other similar questions about talking which always go along the lines of: talking isn't important... Or you should never get a bird because it talks... or (and this is my favorite): "would you love your child any less if he didn't talk?"
Let us just make one thing clear: a parrot is a pet bird and NOT a child!! No comparison. It really gets under my skin when I hear people comparing their pets to children or fathers or mothers.. etc... A pet is an animal. Period. One can be an EXCELLENT per owner but still view his children as children and his pets as pets. And if we do want to use that anology (African greys talking and our children talking, I think every loving parent would do everything in their power to help their child overcome his/her talking problem. Another issue I would like to raise is the following: If one researches parrots looking for specific characteristics, talking ability would be one of the things listed for African greys. So it is absolutely normal for anyone who did their homework and made an educated choice to get an African grey to be every bit enthusiastic and excited for it to be a good talker (in addition to being a well bonded and socialized and healthy and happy animal). So I don't understand on forums (whether this or others) why when someone is concerned or disappointed that his African grey is not talking, he/she get criticised. If I wanted to get a hunting dog, I would do the research and find the best breed for this purpose and I would be VERY disappointed if my dog ended up being one of the exceptions of that breed and doesn't possess the characteristics need to be a hunting dog. If i get a cow to produce milk and ends up producing a few drops of milk every other day, yes i would be VERY disappointed and would be very upset if i tried getting advise online and got answers like:
"Oh, but it doesn't matter that the cow doesn't produce milk. It is still a beautiful animal." Understand my point? If someone gets an African grey and talking is an important characteristic and then it doesn't talk and he/she decides after a month or two to give it to a loving family (who don't value talking ability) and get a new African grey that talks, I think he has every right and deserves every bit of respect for his decision. Let us not forget that when one commits to an African grey we are talking about the possibility Of this being a 40 or 50 year commitment. It is only normal and expected that this person would not want to be stuck for 50 years with a parrot that does not do what he chose that specific breed of parrot to do. Of course I stress the idea of passing that parrot on to a loving family or caring facility. If that person were to say he was going to throw that African grey out or put it in substandard conditions, then yes I would agree he is doing something very bad.

Chrid-md, I'm sorry I posted this in reply to your post. I do not mean for it to be directed towards you. I am just voicing my opinion for anyone who is reading this thread and for anyone on this forum.
Thank you.
That was a great post and Chris-MD needs too check himself about how he carry’s himself when posting and I’m not trying too start trouble just telling the truth.
You’re grey will talk and do some amazing things once he gets comfortable with his surroundings and you. Mine is about 13 months just started talking like a truck driver making noises like you couldn’t believe unlocking his cage you will see give him some time before you know it you will be laughing your ass off.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Huh? What the...??

Cas, were a very caring helpful community around here. I’m not sure what I may have done to offend you, but we generally aren’t about addressing people in such a manner on this forum.

As a new member to this forum I would recommend stepping back and getting to know the personalities and norms of posting on this forum, as well as visiting my several years of work and contribution this forum before coming for me unnecessarily.

This ad hominem attack is unwarranted and unbecoming. Let’s find something more productive to do with your time than starting anonymous flame wars.

Last edited:

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Huh? What the...??

Cas, were a very caring helpful community around here. I’m not sure what I may have done to offend you, but we generally aren’t about addressing people in such a manner on this forum.

As a new member to this forum I would recommend visiting my several years of work on this forum before coming for me unnecessarily.

This ad hominem attack is unwarranted and unbecoming.
Im sorry but too me you have come off very harsh not understanding my post before like I didn’t know how too take care of my parrots I think it was my amazon and it pissed me off.
You like myself maybe come off in a smart a.. manner so I’m extending an olive branch too you and an apology.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I appreciate the apology and accept. I come off like a smart ass because you don’t know me; you’ve been here all of a couple months off and on. Text doesn’t always convey tone, and when you haven taken the time to get to know people, you make assumptions.

People around here know my style, and know it’s nothing of the sort. Sometimes you have to get direct to make a point, and make it crystal clear. It’s a way to emphasizing something that is critically important.

Try convincing a brand new ekkie owner that pellets aren’t good for ekkies, when every other macaw/amazon owner is feeding pellets. Despite a gentle warning, The new owner is gonna want to default to the easiest thing, feeding pellets. Sometimes you have to jar them to make them see the light. This is parrot ownership. People generally treat parrots as secondary citizens akin to guinea pigs. We’re here to make them understand the nature of the charges in their care.

Last edited:

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
I appreciate the apology and accept. I come off like a smart ass because you don’t know me; you’ve been here all of a couple months off and on. Text doesn’t always convey tone, and when you haven taken the time to get to know people, you make assumptions.

People around here know my style, and know it’s nothing of the sort. Sometimes you have to get direct to make a point, and make it crystal clear. It’s a way to emphasizing something that is critically important.

Try convincing a brand new ekkie owner that pellets aren’t good for ekkies, when every other macaw/amazon owner is feeding pellets. Despite a gentle warning, The new owner is gonna want to default to the easiest thing, feeding pellets. Sometimes you have to jar them to make them see the light. This is parrot ownership. People generally treat parrots as secondary citizens akin to guinea pigs. We’re here to make them understand the nature of the charges in their care.
Well said,I’m not the type of person who treats my parrots like second class citizens. So please respect that I spend almost all day every day with my flock read listen learn....I just came off a 4 day power outage only heating my house with wood you don’t know how much trouble and work it was keeping my family pets warm fed and parrots alive when it was in the mid 30s outside so just know my birds are spoiled brats like my 9 and 11 year old boys are. Oh ya and I know I come off harsh but I have a huge heart.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
We ARE a close community here, and we're at ease with humor and teasing and a bit of smart-assing. This comfort allows us to have open and frank discussions.

Mark, I still don't have a confident answer about specifics of talking, even with Greys. It's just so hard to predict!
I'll also take the liberty of hoping you fall in love with your brd enough to keep it, regardless of talking inclination. :)

Thanks to all members for discussing this so passionately.

Most Reactions