Scared african grey

Flockmaster

Feb 24, 2018
Media
Parrots
Budgie and sputnik (both cockatiels, budgie is a pearled and sputnik a grey faced)

Coconut (Pineapple conure)

Talon (african grey)

Ziggy (Macaw)
I got an african grey (talon) a few months ago, from a pretty bad home. They had two small kids who didnt know how treat a bird, and two small conures who'd regularly bully her. As a result she's a very scared bird, I've been trying to work with her since I got her but we've made no real progress.

She gets scared if I move around the room she's in, will freak out if my hands go near her even to give her food and water, she's plucked (though getting better with that, her entire chest was bare when I got her, now its mostly messy downs) so she cant fly but she still tries when she gets scared so she ends up flopping around her cage getting hurt, which scares her even more.

I've tried positive reinforcement with treats, but even having my hand in there to give treats scares her and she'll just yell at them. She doesnt come out of her cage, since obviously she cant step up, though the one or two times she's willingly come out on her own its been very hard to get her back in. I'm not sure how to get her used to me if she's afraid of treats, as thats how I've done it with every other bird. I have slowly started desensitizing her by just placing my hand on or around her cage for a few minutes and talking to her, but not much has changed.

She's also scared of all of her toys, only ever really playing with her bell which she likes to ring. She only really uses two perches though there are plenty in the cage, she doesnt even look at the concrete perch or anything not near the front of the cage.

I havent taken her to a vet since I dont know how I could if I cant get her out of the cage. She's on a diet of harrisons high potency and the occasional fruit of vegitable, if that helps

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You'll never know the baggage Talon carries from previous home(s) and Greys are exceptionally sensitive. It can take quite a while for them to feel comfortable and trusting. There are many techniques for establishing trust and a lifelong bond: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
Patience and consistency work best, assisted by food. Most parrots like various nuts; small pieces are effective to keep calories reduced.

Her cage is a safe zone; if you have a playstand with a perch, placing it close to the cage and gradually increasing the distance may help. You'll need to start slowly and gradually expand her sphere of comfort. Some find "target training" helpful: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi FlockMaster,

Welcome to the forum and Thank You So Much for rescuing Talon. I can't even imagine how traumatized she must be. She'll need a lot of time & patience before she feels safe. If that's even possible. Like Scott said we have no idea what she has been through, poor baby.

If you've never had a grey here is another good read. http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html

Harrison's is great, but she'll also need more veggies & fruit daily.
Best of luck to you both. :heart:

Lin51

Feb 9, 2018
Hi my sons partner was given a ten year old African grey as a present.hes already ten years old and had three homes.was told a girl had him last. When they let him out he's affectionate to my son but really bites his partner.shes tried treats but he just fluffs up with eyes pinned. I have been by him and I have birds but he does the same. Now she is so scared of her present she only goes in the room when he's in the cage. It's her present not my sons. Any ideas forum

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I'm going to suggest sitting beside her cage, and talking calmly & softly to her. Don't look directly at her, just sit there and talk. It doesn't really matter what you talk about. I've spent a couple of years trying to regain my 'Zon's trust after losing it by adopting another big bird (a Grey), and I tried everything! Nothing worked...until talking, as above.

It's a slow process, but it DOES work. They get used to you being beside them, yet not presenting any kind of threat. After a while, the soothing sound of your voice becomes comfortable to them. A while later, they start to look forward to your presence, and a bit of interaction starts to look attractive to them.

As time goes by, try offering a peanut or some other treat. Just give it, then look away and keep talking. Next, try a quick glance at them, then look away as if you're shy. By this point, the bird is finding you interesting, and perhaps worthy of more attention.

The biggest piece of advice re: physical contact is...let HER come to YOU!! Remember that old show biz saying..."Always leave them wanting more!" It works with people, and it works with parrots.

Step by step, a tiny bit at a time, trust will be earned.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
You can see you are in the right community!
Thanks for rescuing this darling.
Welcome!

Most Reactions