A Good Parrot Choice For My 7 Yr Old Daughter

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I am hoping to start looking for a parrot for my 7 year old daughter. She absolutely loves Quincy & Savannah and I wanted her to have a bird of her own that she could spend time with. Savannah is way too heavy for her to hold, although one day I know she will! :) Quincy is a biter and I won't let her hold him.

She really wants a bird of her own. I've been looking into different birds and wanted to know if any of you have suggestions on a first bird for her. The only bird she has no interested in are Budgies, so we are not considering one of those.

She would need a bird that generally is known for having a good temperament and is a family bird. I know there are no guarantees but if we can find a bird known for being friendly, that would be the way to go.

Also, we would get the bird from a breeder so it is well socialized and she can handle it from the start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We have a future parrot owner here and I want to make her first experience a good one! Thanks in advance!

cockatielgirl

Banned
Banned
May 30, 2013
Nottingham uk
Parrots
2 tiels,
molly~1 year old
and
tinker bell~3 year old
cockatiels!!!! they make great pets there light small and cuddly she could train it and cuddle it! :) there cheap and loveable they can bite but not hard and there also good starter bird and are good with macaws and grays! :)

hope that helps :)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Would she be handling the cleaning ? It's always good for a adult to step in a but , but your description of her makes her sound capable , so im not worried . I hope no one gets rude one here saying a girl that young shouldn't have a bird . Most of the time it depends on the maturity and knowledge someone holds . People have constantly told me that a 12 year old like me should not have a conure but I have proved them wrong with my knowledge . I think a cockatiel from a breeder would be nice

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Lovebird! I don't think they can talk very well, but they sure make up for that with the most hilarious disposition! Mine have a slinky toy and they use that to bounce on, run along, hang from and swing on. Watching a peachie bounce upside-down from a slinky is one of Nature's best pleasures. My lovies aren't tame, as they were too old when we got them and my son is very nervous that one might get out if he puts his hands in the cage. So, we just provide food and treats and the lovies provide the laughter. You can get lovies in some stunningly gorgeous colours too!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Mikey - I think that would be a possibility, although she hasn't show much interest in them. I may get a few books of different birds we can go over together to help with the decision!

cockatiels!!!! they make great pets there light small and cuddly she could train it and cuddle it! :) there cheap and loveable they can bite but not hard and there also good starter bird and are good with macaws and grays! :)

hope that helps :)

Glad to know they are good with Macaws & Greys, too! Thanks Cockatielgirl!

Would she be handling the cleaning ? It's always good for a adult to step in a but , but your description of her makes her sound capable , so im not worried . I hope no one gets rude one here saying a girl that young shouldn't have a bird . Most of the time it depends on the maturity and knowledge someone holds . People have constantly told me that a 12 year old like me should not have a conure but I have proved them wrong with my knowledge . I think a cockatiel from a breeder would be nice

Birdlover11 -I am going to have her start helping with the cleaning and feeding of my two current parrots to earn her own bird. I want her to understand the responsibility before we bring in a bird for her. She has been around Quincy all her life and does help out with him already. I'm just going to up the help a bit more. I can use it and she can use the practice and get a better understanding of what life with her own parrot will be like! LOL! ;)

I think she is very mature for her age and can handle her own bird for sure! I'm already prepared for the nay sayers! LOL! :rolleyes: If anyone, I think I know my daughter best! ;)

Lovebird! I don't think they can talk very well, but they sure make up for that with the most hilarious disposition! Mine have a slinky toy and they use that to bounce on, run along, hang from and swing on. Watching a peachie bounce upside-down from a slinky is one of Nature's best pleasures. My lovies aren't tame, as they were too old when we got them and my son is very nervous that one might get out if he puts his hands in the cage. So, we just provide food and treats and the lovies provide the laughter. You can get lovies in some stunningly gorgeous colours too!

Betrisher - She is really interested in a Lovebird! I know that many times they are not tame, but I'm hoping to find a breeder that hand raises them and socialized them well. Thanks for the input, it really helps!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I think a lovvie or a tiel is a good choice. Or potentially a quaker or parrotlet? :)

Harlow

Mar 27, 2013
NW Phoenix AZ
Look into Black Capped Conures. We sadly lost ours in December due to a food recall, I've had experience with several other BCC's as well and they've always been evenly tempered and easy going. They're small enough to not be very intimidating, but incredibly active, playful little clowns. A friend recently purchased one for her 10 year old and has been nothing but thrilled.

shyness

Jul 10, 2012
I had a cockatoo at her age.. so i think she is well on her way.. I would look at tiels, and why is she not interested in keets... I so love the keets.. you can teach them to talk and some of them are gorgeous.. tell her to have a look again... maybe a lil conure.. i love those too

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
I think a lovvie or a tiel is a good choice. Or potentially a quaker or parrotlet? :)

Mayden - A Parrotlet was another I was looking into. You guys are giving me some great options to look into. Thanks!

Look into Black Capped Conures. We sadly lost ours in December due to a food recall, I've had experience with several other BCC's as well and they've always been evenly tempered and easy going. They're small enough to not be very intimidating, but incredibly active, playful little clowns. A friend recently purchased one for her 10 year old and has been nothing but thrilled.

Harlow - I will definitely check that out. Sounds like BCC may be a good choice. I haven't seen them around here. Are they hard to find??

shyness

Jul 10, 2012
Some people love the lovie.. I myself am scared to death of them.. my first job was in a bird shop in here in berkeley ca.. started when i was 15... the only birds that bit me were the pretty love birds omg and they bit me hard.. we had a hyacinth macaw named samantha that never bit me and i could do anything with .... but those lovebird OH MYYY.. latched on and would dangle lol... i would have to shake them off my fingers!!!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
I had a cockatoo at her age.. so i think she is well on her way.. I would look at tiels, and why is she not interested in keets... I so love the keets.. you can teach them to talk and some of them are gorgeous.. tell her to have a look again... maybe a lil conure.. i love those too

Shyness - Thanks for the suggestions! I think she wants something a little bigger then a budgie because she is used to large birds. But you never know! Like I said to Mikey, I may get a few books with pics and basic info for us to go over with different types of birds. Sounds like tiels, lovebirds & conures are possible good choices! I will see if my Mom still has her budgie book. We can look at that, too! Good to know about the lovebirds, that was one of my concerns that's why I want to get a well socialized tame bird if possible!

Birdlover11 - I didn't realize you were the 12 year old until I reread your post. You come off very mature and knowledgeable for your age. You should be proud of yourself. ;)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
cockatiels hands down, some lovebirds can be very nippy (particularly females). lovebirds can be a good choice if your daughter is willing to put up with the occasional bite or nip.

cockatiels are more laid back and more calmer than lovebirds and are relatively gentle.

and i can vouche for the fact that lovebirds pack a bad bite, and they may not let go after they latch on lol they can be pretty fierce for their small size!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
DallyTsuka - Thank you, I'm starting to think lovebirds may not be a good choice. I hadn't really thought of a Tiel really because she really like the colors of the Lovebirds, but their are a few different Tiels she could choose from. I'm going to look into further at this point, especially with all the recommendations I got today. Thanks for the info, it was really helpful!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
A well socialized baby lovebird is super sweet! But I still go for a tiel. :)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Thanks Mikey - I figured that if we get a well socialized Lovebird that may work. I will just have to go over the pros and cons of all of these birds to help her (and I) make a decision.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
When my child wanted a pet, I wanted a pet that was easy going and not too big or small. I remembered my childhood owning a parakeet. A cockatiel fit those requirements and the bird was perfect as my child matured. Everybody who came in contact with it was accepted and allowed it to be handled. The bird is not too loud and can go practically anywhere. Cockatiels have great personalities in those little bodies!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
It really depends on how much time she can devote to the bird.
If you don't or can't handle a cockatiel for a few days they are more forgiving.
Lovebirds on the other hand, are less forgiving, you should handle them daily in order to keep them connected to you.
does your daughter want a bird that will sit on her shoulder, or to play with.
A conure will do both, but like everyone mentioned, they can pack a real nasty bite, same with a lovebird, even a tame one.

A cockatiel would be her best choice, for safety reasons, they are highly devoted, and fun to watch, especially males which you can train to speak.

The other bird you could look at are a Lineolated Parakeet, I've owned 5 of them, they love hanging upside down, have an alert call, a very very calm bird.
they are about the size of a lovebird, come in beautiful colours, and are real cuttle bugs, but not a needy bird. Not many breeders around for those types, but if you do find one I would highly recommend them for a first time bird.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I would like to suggest that whichever type of bird you go with, let the bird pick her. My daughter wanted to go by color but I said let one of the babies choose. Sure enough one came to her and a beautiful friendship was born.

Most Reactions