2yv5fgm.jpg

2czv9fq.jpg

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
If you don’t mind my asking, where in MD do you live that you are able to volunteer for a place in PA? I’m in northern Silver spring. Ive considered volunteering but nothing terribly close to me.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
If you don’t mind my asking, where in MD do you live that you are able to volunteer for a place in PA? I’m in northern Silver spring. Ive considered volunteering but nothing terribly close to me.
I'm outside of Baltimore (Harford County). It does take me an hour and fifteen minutes to get there. The location is Hanover, PA

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
A little more today.

Sunny (the blue and gold) and I are making some progress. He willingly steps up, but is eager to get back down. He will now at least munch on a treat on my arm.

4t3wx1.jpg

xp93c9.jpg

28jb2hj.jpg

2f04t20.jpg

2wgcc4y.jpg

2cza9e0.jpg

no98n8.jpg

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Another day with the birds.

My buddy, Sunny
5n6ba0.jpg

There are about 15 greys
2dqoqdw.jpg

Hyacinth
1snk49.jpg

There are about 20 umbrellas
2090kkz.jpg

This Moluccan has the sweetest face.. but I am not so good at reading cockatoos
116i8t5.jpg

Did I mention they have cockatoos?
nld18z.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow, I am bowled over both by the pics and your efforts on behalf of these parrots. Thanks Don, very much.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Truly horrific how many unwanted birds just one shelter has! And these shelters are all over the US and other countries, all overflowing with beautiful birds who deserve loving families:( What a disgrace that humans took these beautiful, sensitive, intelligent beings from their natural habitats in the first place and instead of being good caretakers, our increasingly shameful species has created this issue instead:mad::mad::mad:. Thank you so much for stepping up to help! I wish there was a rescue like this locally to me I could help at, but they just seem to have a foster network type rescue and we can't foster any birds.

Curious, looking at the photos, has the shelter moved into an old mall? I know a lot of traditional malls are struggling to keep retailers these days and coming up with new, creative solutions to utilize the massive spaces. If so, allowing an animal rescue as a tenant is a wonderful use of previous retail space:)

Last edited:
OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Wow, I am bowled over both by the pics and your efforts on behalf of these parrots. Thanks Don, very much.

Thank you for the kind words. I am a small piece of the puzzle, for sure, but their quote resonates with me. "To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived- that is to have succeeded."

Truly horrific how many unwanted birds just one shelter has! And these shelters are all over the US and other countries, all overflowing with beautiful birds who deserve loving families:( What a disgrace that humans took these beautiful, sensitive, intelligent beings from their natural habitats in the first place and instead of being good caretakers, our increasingly shameful species has created this issue instead:mad::mad::mad:. Thank you so much for stepping up to help! I wish there was a rescue like this locally to me I could help at, but they just seem to have a foster network type rescue and we can't foster any birds.

Curious, looking at the photos, has the shelter moved into an old mall? I know a lot of traditional malls are struggling to keep retailers these days and coming up with new, creative solutions to utilize the massive spaces. If so, allowing an animal rescue as a tenant is a wonderful use of previous retail space:)

It is truly remarkable how many unwanted birds there are. With that being said, they are more on the sanctuary side than the rescue side. Many, many of the birds will live their whole lives out under their care. They do not push for adoption by any means, but will adopt out birds that may do better in a quiet home. There are birds from so many situations. Of course the typical, unprepared owners, neglectful owners, ect. But there are also many birds from people who have died.

The mall is still up and running, but you are exactly right. The founder of the sanctuary said "They are looking for things that will attract people to the mall, so they let us in." Their "shop" is an American Eagle that shut down.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Keep them coming don! I’m not responding much but Am totally caught up in this adventure :)

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Don,
Thank you for sharing your adventure and your volunteer efforts.
They are about an hour from us (we are in the Whitemarsh area) and we plan on stopping up weekend after this to donate a few things.
Possibly we will run into you there.
Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Don,
Thank you for sharing your adventure and your volunteer efforts.
They are about an hour from us (we are in the Whitemarsh area) and we plan on stopping up weekend after this to donate a few things.
Possibly we will run into you there.
Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Hey neighbor. I went to school in Perry Hall. Thanks for donating!

Most Reactions

Latest posts