A New Bird ?????

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
Advice please...

After 3 years with Green Bean as an 'only bird' in the house, how do you anticipate she would respond if we were to add a Canary-winged Bee Bee as another bird into the home.

Obviously, separate cages, different diet, etc.

I love my Beanie so much. I would not want to hurt her emotionally by making her feel 'replaced,' yet would she perhaps feel excited to have another bird to socialize with ?!?!?
I know it varies from bird to bird and all; just wondering from those who may have tried or experienced this. Pros/cons - would you do it / not do it?

Also... is there a risk of spreading disease from one bird to the other? I found this little birdie at Petco over the weekend and I have fallen in love with it.
Nothing (no bird) could replace my Green Bean. I think you guys know how crazy I am about her; she is an amazingly intelligent lorikeet!

Just asking from others who have perhaps done this... did it work / not work well? Health concerns? Asking for advice please, and thanks so much!
If I were to ever win the mega-lottery; I would buy a huge plot of land and honestly build a avian sanctuary run by people who are bird people.
That would be so awesome! Of course; I would name it after Green Bean... LOL
"Green Bean's Avian Rescue & Sanctuary"

Billy
:rainbow1:

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, I do know that there are no guarantees...
Fortunately (unfortunately?) the Rb is so aggressive and territorial that I've never even dared to think of another bird...
Every concern you cited is legitimate!
Many here have found that they have to separate birds permanently... some have been fortunate and multiple birds get along.

Good for you for reaching out!

Good luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Canary wing Bee Bee's are awesome little parrots, who think they are the size of macaws, with attitudes to match. But I have no first hand experience on how they integrate with other species. With their strong personallities, it's hard to tell, and it's never ever a sure thung.

OP
B

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
To be safe; I believe I will stick to being a 'one bird home.'
Green Bean is so awesome; and having had her now for over 3 years, met and spoken to other bird owners and just spending time learning more about parrots in general; they are such INTELLIGENT and very EMOTIONAL creatures; I would never want to jeopardize the bond I have with her or hurt her feelings. My instinct tells me that even if she got around to liking another bird in the home, it would take a very, very long time and a lot of hard work with both.
Thank you both! :)
Billy

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I feel you. I would like to take in another bird someday when I have more time to spare. If you have lots of time adding another bird could be fine even if they don't like each other. It takes lots of time to keep more than one bird happy since they might need to be kept separate at all times.

My Sprinkles HATES my male Parakeet. They were fighting threw the cage yesterday. Silly boys. I also feel another bird would not go over well with my Sprinkles.

Most Reactions