Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Noooo why...we have two special need cockatiels (a pair) that came in and I was all like I know someone that would be great....sigh...

Congrads on the new additions! Looking much better with those baths already:)

See, the problem is I can never say no to more birds! haha

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's a cute video for you all, the 'zons discovering the water bottle I put in their cage.
Since there's a reoccurring theme of messing up the water dish, I added this in addition to them having the bowl so I can make sure they have clean water.

They love it and now I might need to get a second so they don't keep fighting over it!
[ame="https://youtu.be/02ISv2L6714"]Birbs discovered the water bottle! - YouTube[/ame]

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
Congrats on your beautiful birdies. They look so much better already and I think what you are doing with them is amazing! I have my hands more than full with little green cheek breeders that are 4 years old and not tame, you have no idea how much I look up to you for this!

How did you get them in the shower? Did you pick them up? How?
I might be able to walk Mango to the shower although he might panic leaving the room but picking up Kiwi? No idea how to do that without loosing all my limbs and without her going into a full panic :(

My guys have bathed for 4 years in their waterbowl with the previous owner and still rather take to the waterbowl over the various bowls I put in their cage. I have tried misting but it wasn't a success. I would love to see them getting an actual shower.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Congrats on your beautiful birdies. They look so much better already and I think what you are doing with them is amazing! I have my hands more than full with little green cheek breeders that are 4 years old and not tame, you have no idea how much I look up to you for this!

How did you get them in the shower? Did you pick them up? How?
I might be able to walk Mango to the shower although he might panic leaving the room but picking up Kiwi? No idea how to do that without loosing all my limbs and without her going into a full panic :(

My guys have bathed for 4 years in their waterbowl with the previous owner and still rather take to the waterbowl over the various bowls I put in their cage. I have tried misting but it wasn't a success. I would love to see them getting an actual shower.

I did have to towel them to get them in the shower, but that was only out of necessity because of how dusty and messy they were, since then they get a spritz from a bottle which they really enjoy. I'll try to record it tomorrow!

I also have a pair of green cheek breeders which I haven't tried bathing yet but I'll see what their reaction is tomorrow too. They bathe in their water bowl so far as well.

Try putting a towel over the shower curtain rod, and put them up there to get some steam and mist, as well to acclimate them to the shower noises. Move them into the shower on a grab bar or rack you might have, again with a washcloth or towel to help them get a grip. The scariest thing for them in my opinion, is slipping. If they can't get a firm grip on something, they'll freak and try to fly, which they can't while wet, and panic.

If they freak out to a towel, you have to slowly acclimate them to it. Lay it down, put treats on it, hold it, give treats from that hand, play peek-a-boo, etc, to gain trust. I try my best not to force my birds into the towel, though I have to sometimes when I need to do their nails, or for my Sydney, check his butt and dremel his curly nail. I cover his eyes and it makes a big difference, though an amazon is much stronger than your little conures!

You have to be careful to not grip too hard because you can injure them if you're not careful. Firm, but not clenched around them which can restrict breathing. I also don't cover their nose or beak, I let them bite into the towel.

You can feel free to PM me with any questions you have, I have all the time in the world right now. :)

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's a few update pictures, had them just about a month now! Tried to get some good pictures but they just don't seem to want to sit still!
8BYXbqi.jpg

zHjPOX0.jpg

9Ck99DT.jpg

Dckva6N.jpg

354EmzU.jpg

fbzydLO.jpg

WrmcaLf.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh WOW, Aquila, they are looking GREAT!!! Both of them! :D I don't see any eye pinning at you, so they must be feeling pretty relaxed and comfy.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a beautiful pair! Which one is the male/female?

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
What a beautiful pair! Which one is the male/female?
The male has the more blue on the cere, the female has almost none, though she's getting a little more now, she has a beautiful sheen of blue down her chest and belly.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They are beautiful and seem to be responding well to your love and TLC. Congratulations for giving them a wonderful new life!!

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's some bathing videos as promised! Sorry for shaky video, I had to keep switching hands because my hand was tired from spritzing!

Ezio was dipping his head in the water so I pulled out the spray bottle and spritzed them both, figured they were listening to the rain outside! Ezio continued to dip his head even after I soaked him down!

[ame="https://youtu.be/9mgMfTNDZ7o"]Bathing Lola and Ezio(4) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/5aMjKkGzsms"]Bathing Lola and Ezio(3) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/Z_zEBwjVfjo"]Bathing Lola and Ezio(2) - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sweet!!!! Someone sure enjoyed that bath. :D Ezio is a little head dunker, too, HAHAHAH. How are those fingers feeling after that workout, Aquila? :32:

So sweet how they both get next to each other to get wet.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Sweet!!!! Someone sure enjoyed that bath. :D Ezio is a little head dunker, too, HAHAHAH. How are those fingers feeling after that workout, Aquila? :32:

So sweet how they both get next to each other to get wet.

I spritzed a whole bottle of water, how do you think my fingers feel!? :D

Most Reactions