A Quick Update

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
I wanted to let everyone know how well my yellow naped Amazon is doing! I had planned to change her name but she says it in a lot of her phrases so she is still Greenleaf. You might remember from my last post her original owners were drug abusers and you can guess what this name is in reference to, but it has stuck. Anyway, Greenleaf is doing wonderfully and fits in very well here. She loves pets and lives for treats (she will do anything for sunflower seeds, peanuts and especially pecans). Even better, I have gotten her to accept all manner of fresh produce and cooked rice and beans to expand her previously seed-only diet. I still use leather gloves around her because her mood changes quickly and it helps me safely control her, but she does not mind them at all and in fact she prefers that I pet her with the gloves instead of bare handed and will only offer to step up on them! I work with bobcats, venomous reptiles etc. on a daily basis at work so I figure I have a pretty good handle on what safety equipment is and isn't over the top, and if it doesn't effect her negatively I'd rather just stick to the gloves and not deal with a bad bite. :p She is starting to pair bond with me so my next "project" with her will be beginning clicker training to reroute our relationship away from mating.

I guess the MBS kicked in shortly after we brought her home and we fell in love with a Green Cheek Conure that we later adopted and named Eva. Eva was not at all socialized and was terrified of us and especially of hands. Now after a few weeks she is becoming much more friendly and loves coming out of her cage and stealing food and toys from us, although she is still a little wary of hands. As I speak Eva is playing with my plate from breakfast and desperately trying to get into my coffee cup. Both Eva and Greenleaf have tons of new toys as well. Greenleaf is a little lumberjack and destroys wood blocks, Eva can't do much damage to her toys but plays with absolutely anything we give her. She especially loves her mirrors and the swirls of straws I cut up for her. I'll update soon with pictures of them both!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What an awesome update! So happy that Greenleaf is doing well:)
Congrats on your newest addition as well! Looking forward to the pictures:)

Most Reactions