Abby is Home

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I apologize that this so long...
Well, I picked Abby up at the Airport yesterday evening at 5:50pm. She was wide eyed but did not make a sound. I started talking to her by saying her name and that I love you over and over.
The 2 guys there had never seen a Red and Blue Parrot and they said she was so pretty... :D
I put her in the front passenger seat of my truck (with seat belt through the handle) and started the 45 minute drive home.
I kept talking to her. I noticed she started eating and she ate all the way home as I kept talking to her.
When we arrived home I put her on the dining table and put Harley and Lucy (Harley is a full blooded Silver Schnauzer and Lucy is 1/2 Schnauzer and cow dog) outside and Dipsey (Dipsey is a kitten that was rescued from a dumpster last October) in the bedroom.

I opened the crates door and just talked to her. She backed up some but still not a sound. I kept saying her name and I Love You Abby. I slowly put my hand in and Abby bumped my index finger with her beak. I just left my hand there and she nipped at me but did not bite. I showed her the back of my hand and she tapped me about 4 or 5 more times and just stopped. I placed the back of my hand next to her beak and she did nothing. O just kept talking to her the entire time. I then moved my hand to the crates opening and she walked up to my hand, I said up up and she steped up on my finger. I praise her for this.
I petted her as she flapped her wings.. still no sound.
I walked into the living room and she jumped/flew to the floor. I gently picked her up and carressed her back and breast feather, all the time saying her name and telling her I love her.

I opened the cage and put her in, she went straight for the food and started eating. A couple of minutes later she squawked and I said her name.
After about 30 minutes I let Harley and Lucy in. they were so mesmerized by Abby, they put their noses against the cage and Abby was not a bit intimated at all and they were beak to nose. I tried to get a picture but they all moved. Lucy now lays in front of the cage and keeps guard.

I have petted here several times today and she has not once tried to bite or nip. I have talked to her all day and she has responded several times by squawking.

I know it will take a while to get her totally use to her new home, but I think we are on a good start.

Last edited:

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
I'm so happy it worked out!!! Looks like she's a little nervous. Oh well i'm sure she'll warm up. :) Is her squawking annoying to you?

OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I'm so happy it worked out!!! Looks like she's a little nervous. Oh well i'm sure she'll warm up. :) Is her squawking annoying to you?

She is a little nervous but not too bad.

No the squawking is not loud at all.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Congrats on bringing Abby home, sounds like your off to a great start, just take things slow and let her adjust on her own time, if she seems hesitant or nervous about doing certain things thats normal, as she settles in you'll see the changes, nice to see that she not intimadated by the dogs, hopefuly they'll all learn to co-exsist peacefully :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Happy for you and critter family. How far did Abby travel? The Baily foundation has a female eckie that was mistreateed for adoption. They bring her in to my club meetings and she is a doll. If you pet her or feed her she does the beak bumping you describe very gently as if to say to us be careful or I will nip you.

Enjoy your new treasure.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome home Abby
Laie_7.gif

Settle down nicely in your new mommy's house
Tell mommy to GET THE :pic: ROLLING

We want daily feedback :rolleyes:

OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Welcome home Abby
Laie_7.gif

1st of all it is Daddy... LOL no mommy here.. LOL

I don't have a movie camera.. but I will be posting pictures

OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Happy for you and critter family. How far did Abby travel? The Baily foundation has a female eckie that was mistreateed for adoption. They bring her in to my club meetings and she is a doll. If you pet her or feed her she does the beak bumping you describe very gently as if to say to us be careful or I will nip you.

Enjoy your new treasure.

Abby only had to fly for an hour and 15 minutes... from Houston to DFW..

I just went and petted Abby and she did not even try the beak bump..
She is settling in.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Congratulations! I'm so glad you got her home. Sounds like she made the trip well and that she's settling in. Keep taking is slow (no matter how difficult it is!). Taking to her is the best thing now...it helps get her used to you.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome home Abby
Laie_7.gif

Oh okay HELLO DADDY
Dad if you got a cell, take pic's using it, and if it records go ahead. That's how me and my "bird brain" does it

OMG
be6.gif
I have put my foot in it again and again LoL

Ben should enjoy this one

Last edited:
OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Welcome home Abby
Laie_7.gif

Oh okay HELLO DADDY
Dad if you got a cell, take pic's using it, and if it records go ahead. That's how me and my "bird brain" does it

OMG
be6.gif

Ben should enjoy this one (got to make to smile everyday Ben)

Don't worry about it... I am a 60 year old (my 2 sons say real OLD) single man. I love all my critters and Abby will be loved and cared for very much.
she will not be neglected at all.

The pups sit by her cage and watch her all day.
I can even say to Lucy.. where is Abby and she will go to Abby's cage and sit down...

Thanks for info about the cell phone... I forgot about that..

One question. When I pick Abby up how do I keep her from climbing up my arm to my shoulder?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
One question. When I pick Abby up how do I keep her from climbing up my arm to my shoulder?

It's an instinctive thing for parrots to go to the highest point so they can have a better view of potential predators. She'll learn that her new home is safe, but she doesn't know for sure yet and this is a natural thing for her to do.

This is going to take repetition to teach her that you don't want her on your shoulder. She doesn't know that this isn't acceptable yet. Try this: when she does that, say "no" and gently reposition her to a "perch appropriate" location. It may take some time, but she'll learn. Ekkies are smart. Consistency is the key.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Oh okay HELLO DADDY

OMG
be6.gif

Ben should enjoy this one

Don't worry about it... I am a 60 year old (my 2 sons say real OLD) single man. I love all my critters and Abby will be loved and cared for very much.
she will not be neglected at all.

The pups sit by her cage and watch her all day.
I can even say to Lucy.. where is Abby and she will go to Abby's cage and sit down...

Thanks for info about the cell phone... I forgot about that..

So cool the way the pups sit by Abby's cage, she has "Security Guards" :D
I have never dealt with a bird going up from the arm to the shoulder sorry. I surfed the net, came across the link below, sure it will assist you. Other members will willingly help you along the way.

Last edited:

pawsfoot

Jul 19, 2010
Media
Brooksville, FL
Parrots
1 Eclectus Parrot (Ezmerelda), 1 Patagonian Conure (Peanut)
I can't even get my Ekkie to sit on my hand for more than a couple minutes. She just trys to fly away all the time.

OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
I can't even get my Ekkie to sit on my hand for more than a couple minutes. She just trys to fly away all the time.

Abby does that also. She will sit for a few seconds and then try to go up on my shoulder. If I let her she will flap her wings and stay there. When I move her back to my hand or sit her down on the table she will fly away.
I have tile floors and when she lands she slides a few inches. She does not run when I approach her and she will step up without and issues.
If I hold my hand gently on her back she will stay.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Congratulations! Abby is gorgeous.

Great that she lets you touch her on the back. That was the one place that Eddie would never let me touch, now he is fine with it, but it took 3 years for him to let me.

pawsfoot

Jul 19, 2010
Media
Brooksville, FL
Parrots
1 Eclectus Parrot (Ezmerelda), 1 Patagonian Conure (Peanut)
Yea Ezzy just has a fit if I try and touch her on her back. She barely lets me touch her at all. Ithink the man who had her before never really touched her. She basically sits on top of her cage when we are home and when she is tired she climbs back in. If you put your hand in her cage she flies to the bottom, and she tries to fly away when she is on top of her cage if you go to touch her. If she does fly to the floor she will stand until you ask her to step up, but then she only lets me carry her on my hand a couple seconds and then flys off again. It's like a game of catch and release every time she leaves her cage. Everytime I do get her on my hand I try and give her treats to let her know that I am safe and won't hurt her. It's just going to take time I guess.

OP
Cowtown

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Yes Abby is ok with me touching her back. I gently rubbed under her wings last night and she seamed ok with that for a minute and then she flapped her wings and flew to the floor. I let her walk around for a few minutes and then went and she stepped up and we did it all over again.
She started jabbering up a storm this morning after I fed her. She is a little piggy.. she eats everything I give her.. I gave her some scrambled eggs this morning and she loved them.

Mike

Most Reactions