Abnormal feces, red and green?

runsa23

Oct 9, 2015
I've noticed that my Indian Ringneck has been leaving green poop with slightly red urate. It also seems a bit watery. I've also seen him standing on one foot. He isn't sneezing, and hasn't got any nasal discharge. There seems to be a lot of downy feathers on the bottom of the cage, though he has no bald spots, so I'm fairly sure he's not plucking. When I got him, his wings were clipped, and he seems to pick at and preen his wings a lot, so they look tattered at the ends.

I'm feeding him a pelleted diet with a small amount of seed (in transition), and some vegetables such as celery, carrot, etc. Any idea what might be the cause, and how I can treat it?

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Coloured pellets? Pellet poo and seed poo often looks different.
Toy dyes?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That my first thought as well. Unless he is holding his foot like it is hurt, I wouldn't consider that a concern. Most birds will tuck up a foot when relaxed.

As for the poo, it could be from the things you are adding. Celery is quite the watery food, and pellets can change the color of poop. My birds also tend to have a bit more watery droppings in the heat as they increase their water intake.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
However, if you are concerned, a trip to the vet would settle your fears :)

OP
R

runsa23

Oct 9, 2015
I won't be able to take him to the vet for a couple days, so this is a huge concern for me.

I've also noticed that the lower part of his beak has lost the tip, had to have happened just recently. So I'm starting to think he maybe has PBFD. Which would explain the very muddled coloring.

I only got him recently, and nobody would buy him due to his color.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I suggest testing for PBFD if you suspect it. You can get the test for about $20 each test through Avian BIotech, and I suggest testing both the blood and the vent of your bird. Very affordable, and much less expensive than testing through a vet, and you can do it at home.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I only got him recently, and nobody would buy him due to his color.

What about his color? Do you have any pics of him? And could you take pics of his droppings? Might help any of our members who have experience with PBFD to give you a more informed guess.

I can tell you that Itchyfeet and SilverSage are right about how colored pellets and food dyes can affect the color of bird feces. Maya and Jolly's droppings look positively sanguine after eating some cherries or raspberries!

OP
R

runsa23

Oct 9, 2015
So, included are pictures of the feces, both green and red. Sorry for the low quality, I'm using a lender phone at the moment. The picture of the bird with the broken beak is not my bird, but my bird's lower beak is broken in exactly the same way. Just the tip. And then included is a photo I took of him right when I got him, on 10-2-15. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_160522.jpg
    IMG_20151011_160522.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5,022
  • IMG_20151011_160534.jpg
    IMG_20151011_160534.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,999
  • pbfd-beak.jpg
    pbfd-beak.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Dili.jpg
    Dili.jpg