About yogurt

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My conure Kumar absolutely loves yogurt, and as he was a hand raised baby (which I don't believe in) I think it would have it's benefits, but haven't found anything on portion. And it's plain Greek (whole) yogurt. I usually let him have a few licks a couple of times as week. How much is too much? I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to it at all. He goes nuts over the stuff!

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It doesn't hurt them at all but I probably wouldn't give anymore then what you have in that teaspoon.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
I let him get a few licks, like 4 or 5....they're gulps actually, but finish it myself. Even what was in that spoon was eaten mostly by me.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I don't understand about birds eating yogurt - and I'd like to know how many people give it to their birds. I've read all birds are lactose intolerance, which makes sense since they dont' produce milk. But on this forum lots of people seem to give their birds yogurt, and some feed them cheese, so I dont know WHAT to think about it. I want my birds to have a varied diet, but only what's good for them.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Cheese and butter actually have very little lactose in them.

bps9.jpg

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
I don't understand about birds eating yogurt - and I'd like to know how many people give it to their birds. I've read all birds are lactose intolerance, which makes sense since they dont' produce milk. But on this forum lots of people seem to give their birds yogurt, and some feed them cheese, so I dont know WHAT to think about it. I want my birds to have a varied diet, but only what's good for them.[/QUOTE

I've always understood the reasoning is hand raised birds don't get the beneficial bacteria they would naturally get from their parents and that yogurt simulates it, and they benefit from the live cultures just as we do. Presumably passed from bird to bird, and some theories that they get it also from river bank clay. They are lactose intolerant true, but the benefits outweigh the mild irritation. I've noticed an explosion of yogurt treats on the market but I don't trust any of them as there are so many ingredients, I'd rather just give pure plain yogurt, but very little. If someone knows more about this hopefully they'll chime in.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i have never given cooper yogurt, but he LOVES cheese

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
i have never given cooper yogurt, but he LOVES cheese

Interesting, what sort of cheese does he prefer? I've never offered cheese...my conures bio (rehome) said his previous owners fed him cheesy pizza. I'm not giving him pizza, but I might let him sample a tiny bit of cheese :) thanks for posting that chart megapixel, I've been wondering about that!.i was thinking of giving him low fat yogurt instead thinking it would be less lactose, but low fat contains more lactose. And I thought butter would be an absolute no-no, but it's one of the lowest ones. Very interesting.

Last edited:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well I guess I'll give it a try, I'm a huge fan of chobani - got several tubs in the fridge, thanks :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Greek yogurt has even less lactose in it than plain yogurt does.... the reason being is that lactose is in the whey, and to create Greek yogurt, you drain the whey out of plain yogurt. Not only that, but yogurt contains lactase, which helps to digest lactose.

Hard cheeses have little to no lactose in them, however soft cheeses are *NOT* recommended.

Most Reactions