"Abused" Birds

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
And keep in mind that responsible rescues won't adopt a bird out to someone who isn't fully aware of its past.

Know what's hardest for me? Seeing all that potential just waiting for the right home. So many potentially wonderful companions, but no one wants them. It's just the saddest thing. Lots of them are very clingy because they miss that human contact and don't get nearly enough of it. The volunteers try to play with and interact with as many birds as possible, but it's impossible to give them all equal attention because there are so many who are so deprived and you want to spend time with them all.

What is so hard for me is seeing rescue centers over loaded with birds to the point that they are having a hard time giving them adequate care and yet they want to be soooooo picky about their adoption process. They act like they are adopting out children. Now, I know we all like to think of them as our children:), but they are pets. I know a few rescue centers around me that nearly wants a kidney just to adopt one of their rescued birds.
I've seen this too. Hubby was definitely weirded out by the demands of one bird rescue. I kinda want to look into fostering/adopting but the things they ask are a bit extreme. I understand they do it for the safety of the animals but when they demand much, much more paperwork and hoops than a breeder, craigslist, or pet store, they will lose business to those venues. I understand safegaurds, classes, applications, etc. But a home inspection where all family members are present and driver's license number for all adult members? That just weirds me out a bit.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
adorable bird beaker! but it drives me crazy when a pet isnt being cared for properly, people want macaws "because they're pretty". well when that macaw plucks out all its gorgeous feathers because the owner didnt research birds, they give it away because its "not pretty" anymore. how can people spend thousands of dollars on a bird, and not spend 5 minutes researching how to care for it D:<

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
adorable bird beaker! but it drives me crazy when a pet isnt being cared for properly, people want macaws "because they're pretty". well when that macaw plucks out all its gorgeous feathers because the owner didnt research birds, they give it away because its "not pretty" anymore. how can people spend thousands of dollars on a bird, and not spend 5 minutes researching how to care for it D:<

Thanks for the compliment. Sadly, Beaker is quite aware of his dashing good looks, as he tells himself in the mirror that he is a "pretty bird". He loves looking at himself :D

I agree about lack of research. I am a research fanatic about anything I am going to do. Must be the scientist in me :p

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
Abused birds can stem all the way back to an irresponsible breeder that doesn`t care who they sell a parrot to. Many cases of abused parrots comes from uninformed owners to what they are really getting into. As much care they may think they are giving may be in fact harming the bird. Someone new to parrot owning should take the time to be with parrots for awhile before they take the leap and buy a parrot.. Get to know what they really need of you. They are completely Dependant upon you for a clean and loving environment but this may not be enough. Each specie will have diets and characteristics that are different from each other. Screaming, mood swings, jealousy, demanding attention, plucking feathers are just some of the things a bird will do if they are not getting what they need. A simple change in diet, or a quiet place to sleep, or something to play with and make them exercise daily can make a difference to your birds life style and happiness. What may be a cute and lovable baby parrot will end up to grow into a spoiled, demanding, loud, messy and moody brat like my Cameo. But she will come to comfort me when I am sad and loves me unconditionally as I do of her. She has given my wife and I more pleasure than we could not immagine. Cameo has changed our lives in more ways than you can immagine. But Cameo was a rescue bird and I respect the aviary recue center the way they handled my application to adopt her. They took the time to investigate me and my home. Cameo will out live my wife and I and we already have started training a sibling to be able to take Cameo in case something happens to us. Cameo is in our will as to where she will go to. Hopefully this bird has a future in our family. Just having a companion for a while is not enough. For many of us who can afford to take care of a parrot will not live as long so we have to think of our parrots future. Just a we think of our children wemust think of our fellow feathered friends. Parrot owners are in it for a life time. Not just a whim.

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Well, today I was in a pet store here in town looking for some new perches for Beaker and came across a Quaker Parrot the store had taken in as a rescue. He was blind in one eye and VERY VERY cage aggressive. It was quite the biter and had obviously mistrust issues with people. I felt terrible for the little guy, he didn't even have a known name! I fear his blindness was from mistreatment.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
After reading what some of you witnessed I'm in tears here. :(
I'll gladly take the bat to the person who hit his macaw with it. :mad:

But that goes for any kind of animal abuse. Children and pets are dependant on us to be properly taken care of. They have no voices who can ask for help. Makes me shudder when they are taken advantage of, misused, abused, neglected, etc. And it makes my blood boil, too.

We have a bird rescue nearby, and a couple of years ago my GF wanted to adopt a B&G Macaw from them. The questionaire she had to fill out was quite lenghty, and she had to permit "unannounced" home visits. She asked me to go along with her to check out this Macaw. Well, when we got there we were utterly stunned. His living conditions (in and OUTSIDE) of the cage were deplorable. :eek:

My GF proceded to call the rescue's head honcho to let her know how the volunteer cared for the bird(s). All she got in return were shoulder shrugs. GRRR!!!

Most Reactions