Adding hulled hemp seeds in Chop Mix?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hello! Can I mix in hulled, human-grade hemp seeds directly the chop mix ingredients? Or is it better sprinkled 'fresh' on top of the mix with every serving? I prefer the former but I'm fine either way.

The chop mix is for my sun conure and parakeets. I've read good things about hemp seed but I also heard that it makes some birds hormonal. Is this true? For parakeets it seems to be advised though.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Well, all Iā€™ll say is that we add it to the food of our breeders who just donā€™t seem to be ā€œin the mood,ā€ and it works. I would never give it to bird that I didnā€™t want procreating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thanks, Silversage! Good thing I haven't opened the bottle yet, I can return it (quite expensive too if I may add haha).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Add it to your own diet! At Costco, the price isnā€™t too bad! My daily breakfast is a mix of hemp seed, flaxseed, and chia seed!

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
@Flboy, I just might do that! For a while I was putting chia seeds in overnight oats. Hemp seed's nutty flavor would go well in there!

Most Reactions