adding wood perches to pvc stand *tutorial*

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I was looking at my pvc stand and decided to add some wood perches to it, but couldn't figure out how exactly to do it. I finally came up with a solution.
I started off making a perch from poplar wood.
20140410_101119_zps3b0faad1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I then bored a hole in the base of the perch
20140410_101143_zps48ca8cfc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After the hole is made insert a piece of pvc and screw it in
20140410_101221_zps37047b3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Finally install it on your stand.
2014-04-10102204_zpsdc0c4237.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I still need to make some adjustments but it appears to be working pretty good. I am thinking about making a tree stand in a similar way.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Another way to do this is to simply drill a hole through the PVC, and screw the branch in, using a long wood screw and a large washer.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
That is harder to do for me than this was and I can remove it with a twist. That was my main concern is making it easy to remove if I need to move the stand or clean the perches.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Pretty cool!! Are those dish rings??

Here's what I did- I wanted to use bamboo so I wrapped the ends slightly in vet wrap and crammed them in the PVC (lol)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
What a cool idea! I'm afraid that I'm of the same persuasion as Trish - FORCE it into place! LOL!!

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Pretty cool!! Are those dish rings??

Here's what I did- I wanted to use bamboo so I wrapped the ends slightly in vet wrap and crammed them in the PVC (lol)
Oh, that is a great idea, especially if you don't own a drill. I really like that.
Yes, I installed food water dishes on the perch. It was another reason I wanted to make it easy to remove.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Yes, the pieces were ready to go from a previous project, so I didn't have to do much for this...but previously my husband cut all the bamboo pieces with his compound saw, and then drilled all the holes for the eye screws. But- if you don't have tools, you could get by with buying a hand saw and cutting pieces- make sure the diameter is virtually the same as the inside of the PVC.

I'm going to steal your dish idea though! :D I am gearing up to make a new stand so it's perfect!

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I have like 20 of those food bowl rings. I got them for .50 cent each!! A small pet store was going out of business, so I stocked up:) I have four stands in my house so I have already used most of them. I will keep the rest for backups.
I am going to make a tree stand next by joining pieces of branches together with pvc (like I did with the perch) and to hide the pvc, I will wrap it in manila rope.

Most Reactions

Latest posts