Aded to my flock

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Yesterday I added a new rescue to my flock. It is a male Alexandrine named Buddy. Poor Buddy was on a cat food diet and had no toys in his cage which was located on the persons back porch with no weather protection. The lady said she had clipped his wings before I got there and my son asked " did you clip them with a lawn mower ". His tail feathers look like a lace doily and all his feathers are chewed badly. Buddy is tame and stepped up when asked and gave me kisses. he does speak some saying Hello Buddy and what cha doin. Buddy is in a much better place while at our home. I wont introduce him to Ruby until after he is vetted.

Last edited:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Thanks for saving poor buddy! Glad he is in a better home now! I hope he is in good health when you get him vet checked!

mpanzica529

Aug 24, 2012
My eclectus sounded like the same thing. When i got there to pick her up, she was under a carport, and after a few weeks of handling her i finally was able to hold her. She would open her wings wide and they are SO uneven its like they had no clue what was going on. Ive learned a lot on this forum so far, and she is 180 degrees different than how i first got her. I didn't know if i'd ever be able to hold her, now she is starting to cuddle and she loves stepping up.

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I wish a class was required before anyone could buy a bird ! people want the pretty bird but then get it home and find out it requires work and they give up. Im sure it was his screeching that got him banned to the porch, but I'm confident I can help him overcome that with time. its not constant jsut loud little outbursts here and there. Any suggestions on the screeching would be greatly appreciated, as Ruby never was loud so i've never had to learn to curb it. He really is a sweet boy and he loves to give me kisses. I told my boys we need to give him some time before we remove him from his cage again, as he does seem a little frightened but not aggressive.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I am not sure what to do about the screaming. I think maybe he might be calling for his flock, and it could die down when he settles in. If not, then you can find the reason for the screaming (attention, food) and address it then.
How is he going on his new diet? Has he been happy to eat the new food?

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
He is more than happy to eat the new food. he gobbled up carrots and birdie bread last night and I also noticed he did shred some of the pellets in the night . he ate his lunch well also. He is not screeching constantly and I have noticed that if I go in and talk to him when he does it that it stops. I dont want to teach him that the screeching gets attention though. But you may be on to something with the flock call, as it is short bursts . I have more to learn for sure. Ruby on the other hand has talked her beak off today. She can hear him but cant see him, as I have him quarantined in the back of the house until he is vetted. I realize she knows many more words than I have heard her previously say. She is one jealous girl wether it is the Grand baby or another bird she cant see.

Most Reactions

Latest posts