adequate diet

bella...boo

Nov 20, 2010
noosaville queensland australia
Parrots
I have bought my little bella.....she was born on 29.9. 2010. nearly 8 weeks old..
Hi my female eckie is 5 months old.

can you advice that i am feeding her adequately.

she has in morning bird rearing formula which she loves
then i will give her raw veg and fruit...this may consist of capsicum, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, asparagus, sweet corn, peas, baked potato
and fruit passion fruit, apricot, apple, melon, kiwi fruit.

i will give her a mixture of about 3 of each each day.

in addition she has mixed parrot seed in her bowl and i give her once week, natural cashew nuts that she just nibbles on throughout the week.

Is this an adequate diet for my ecki

thanks amanda:red1:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Amanda,

I have sent you a PM please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have sent you a link of all the info you need to feed your birds the best Aussie diet. I see your from QLD Australia.

To answer your question here NO this is not a good diet for your eclectus. She needs much more than what you are offering especially after you stop giving her the formula. Truthfully she should we weaned by now. LOL. Lettuce is a no no. As is cabbage. Read through the link it will explain everything.

Good luck.

OP
B

bella...boo

Nov 20, 2010
Parrots
I have bought my little bella.....she was born on 29.9. 2010. nearly 8 weeks old..
hi there thanks for that...what is a pm...i am new to the site but would like to know more about the diet
thanks amanda

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
It's a private message & you will find a little box up in the right hand corner of your page that tells you welcome, then when you last visited & how private messages you have. Click on private message & it will take you to that page.

Cheers.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
she has in morning bird rearing formula which she loves
then i will give her raw veg and fruit...this may consist of capsicum, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, asparagus, sweet corn, peas, baked potato
and fruit passion fruit, apricot, apple, melon, kiwi fruit.
mixture of about 3 of each each day.

mixed parrot seed in her bowl and i give her once week, natural cashew nuts that she just nibbles on throughout the week.

Is this an adequate diet for my ecki

Hey Amanda,

Your Bella is a bit old to still be on formula. But to be able to wean her you will have to give it still. I would however recommend that it be the last meal of the day, rather than the first. Cause if she isn't yet eating adeqautely, you'd rather she nibbles on food given and pellets that you can see she eats than feed her and the rest is seen as a "treat" if I can say it as such.

So I would suggest get her to start eating a balanced pelleted diet, cut out the seeds, it could in the long run cause problems because of their special digestive tracts. Feed friut and veg high in vitamin A, and watch out for certain nuts, it can be very fattening. You may also want to get a mixture which you pop in the microwave, its also healthy seeds, and they love it with a bit of honey. Then sprouts are also a favourite. My boy loves apple, carrots and grapes. His also a fan of peppers, yellow, red and green.

Hope this helps a little,
W!!

OP
B

bella...boo

Nov 20, 2010
Parrots
Hi guys great response thank you
when you talk about pellets ...i have vetafarm parrot pellets maintenance.....which is year round nutrition made from natural grains....is this what you mean...i have been putting it with warm water....should i just give it to her dry....

every advice helps
amanda

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
It doesn't really hurt to give a sooky feed once a day even at 5 months. As long as Bella is eating other foods as well. I still give my adult eclectus a feed of formula if i have made to much. I just put it in a bowl for them to eat it. One easy way to give meds as well. Giving formula isn't to different to those that cook up a warm mash for their birds.

Eclectica don't forget we live in Australia & we do things a little different & can't get the foods you have available in your country. It's very basic stuff here.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Amanda the pellets are fine. You can also try the paradice pallets as well, they have apple in them & my young eckies love them. Dry is fine if she eats them. What ever she prefers. It's not recommended to give eckies honey or any bird for that matter.

My young eclectus get a mixture of soaked/sprouted seeds, fresh fruits & veggies, small amount of small parrot seed, pellets. Almonds raw.

You will find a whole host of foods that are safe to feed Bella in that link i sent you.

jgourd

Oct 21, 2010
New England
Parrots
1 Greencheck Conure
1 Severe Macaw
1 Gala
1 Eclectus female
1 Military Macaw
How about posting that link for everybody. My baby eccie gets pretty much the same diet as the poster and I thought I was feeding her well.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Yes please, if we can maybe get a sticky on diets, and maybe parronts from different countries can add also what is available in their country? Pedro the seed and honey is not a regular but if its bad for him I rather not give it anymore.

OP
B

bella...boo

Nov 20, 2010
Parrots
We I pick my little baby boy up today..he going to be called Bobby...so all over again with the hand rearing lol......like having a baby...but it certainly helped my Bella bond well.....
thanks for all your comments...i can see that Im not far wront though...the lettuce and cabbage i can see will make to poos watery..lol so that i will limit..
what do you think of frozen veg and fruit.........i know fresh is always better but would frozen be ok
amanda cody bella and to be bobby

Most Reactions

Latest posts