Adopted 2 older conures!

RosieYasmin

Dec 31, 2020
Hi everyone!
I have adopted two pet shop conures (6 and 4 years old) as no one wanted them due to their age.
They both have their own little personality and already crack me up!
We’ve been spending time bonding and target training which they have taken to well. The older one even stepped up onto my hand today (If only to get quick access to the food bowl) whereas the younger one now confidently eats food out of my hand while a few days ago he didn’t even take any millet offered through cage bars.
The only issue I have is- they seem to be ravenous ALL THE TIME.
I don’t want them to go hungry but also don’t want them to get obese either- I have been feeding them bowls of chopped veggies (carrot, sweet potato, bell pepper, tenderstem broccoli, green beans) and pellets with the occasional spray millet during training and a small portion of seeds and by lunchtime they have demolished it all and are rummaging on the bottom of the cage to find more. They don’t show any interest in their toys at all.
As they have been parent reared and aren’t quite tame enough to let them fly safely yet but they climb around their cage a lot.
Portion-wise: how much should I give them?
Thank you for your help, just trying to make Turk and JD (my two turquoise gccs) have the happiest, healthiest life ��

That’s the 2 little rascals: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWWK2kFJBO/?igshid=9klxrxhjqj1o

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Congrats!

All seems to be going well.

For you question just leave food out all the time, the won't overeat. Lay off the seeds and more pellets with conures.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Clark doesn't talk veggies lol
Lots snd lots of veggies. Leafy lettuces, cranberry, blackberries, plums, and cherry and strawberries but less fruits than veggies
Thank you for talking them!@

I do free choice for all my burds on pellets and seeds . Parrots eat all day long. As burds evolved to forage, and fly. To fly they font fo big meals if that makes sense, and food moves quickly through their system , that's why they poop so much

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ohh i just saw your pictures!! Gorgeous cuteness!!!
Have you had parrots before?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I find newly acquired birds just eat and eat for a period of time, as mentioned above make sure it's the good stuff and don't worry hun. Are you giving fresh a couple of times a day as one large feed stood all day is not the best in terms of freshness and there is the chance of it going slightly 'off'. If they get used to being fed at certain times in a day they may be better and not eat so much?

They are cuties!

Last edited:
OP
R

RosieYasmin

Dec 31, 2020
Ohh i just saw your pictures!! Gorgeous cuteness!!!
Have you had parrots before?

Yes I have had a budgie before but had a long break due to uni and living in rented accommodation- I now have my own house and am happy to share it with the birdies!
Made them a lovely chop today which they thoroughly enjoyed- although the broccoli went flying through the room haha.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, deep respect for adopting a pair of older birds!

Creating chop for new parrots a total trial and effort affair! Many are set in their ways, others curiously explore new foods. I'd recommend repeatedly offering items they are happy to toss overboard. One day a tiny bite may lead to enjoyment for life. I've had parrots change their minds literally after decades of disdain. You just never know!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Aw - they are adorable, congratulations! I tend to feed mine about a tsp of chop each 2x per day and leave pellets in the cage all day. Mine usually finish their chop and graze on pellets during the day. I have bits of seed mix out on play stands and they can have that while they are out creating havoc - it tends to mean that they eat some but not a lot of seed since they are usually “doing stuff” (which I’m okay with).

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Jenn
What in your chop how do you store?

Mine like their fresh food minced (and it means that they can’t pick out what they like and leave the rest). I use little ziploc containers to freeze it in - one container is about a day’s chop for my crew. I put cooked whole grains in the bottom, then an assortment of chopped veg/fruit on top (the grains tend to soak up moisture from defrosting veg). I use broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, squash, sweet potato, corn, brussel sprouts, peppers, apple, peach, cherry, berries, pineapple, mango....basically whatever I bought last.

Attachments

• 6B7597F6-F50B-4F60-BE8A-22C65CEE8061.jpg
    6B7597F6-F50B-4F60-BE8A-22C65CEE8061.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 102

Most Reactions