Adopting a Red bellied..?

BlueandGold

Aug 8, 2012
Adopting a Red bellied..? Need advice

Hi,

I am looking to adopt a female red bellied parrot. She seems very docile but I know nothing about this species. She is about 3 years old. You can pet her, but has not been taught to step up. She can also talk. Do you think upon taking her home she would get aggressive?

Also, which is better in terms of temperament, red bellied, senegals, or meyers?

Thanks!

BlueandGold

Last edited:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
We bought a redbellied female who was 5 mo old and we have had her about a month in a half or two months. She is a lot calmer than my quaker parrot and I also noticed that she is not afraid of new toys and when we got her new cage she went in and explored every nook and cranny with no hesitation checked out every toy ,found her dishes and settled right in. The nice thing too is she came knowing how to wolf whistle so when I crawl out of bed in the am to go make coffee I get a wolf whistle ,not bad for 66 years old. haha. I think you will really like her and this one is a clown.:D

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Hi there fellow bird lover. You can not go wrong with poicephalus species. They are all wonderful type of parrots. Red bellied are known to be the best talkers. The males are known to be snippy while the females are sweet. Red bellied are also known to be more cuddle birds than their other cousins. Just do your research and hopefully you will not be disappointed. I am also planning on adopting a male Red bellied and a male Meyers. I currently have a male Senegal. Once my wife finishes school I will be looking to expand my flock. I will like to add a Jardines as well as Brown neck parrot. I hope you all the best.

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
Have you take her home?
I adopted my Female Red-bellied parrot when she was 6 - she's very sweet.

I have all three Poicephalus species you mentioned; my Meyer's are a bit less sweet, but I think it's because they both have had rough pasts (both were rehomed to me by a rescue). I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

Most Reactions