Adopting an Eclectus: Need help!

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots
Toby - Crimson Bellied Conure

Mercedes - Female Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hey all! I am new to the forum, but definitely not new to parrots! :) My dad and uncle were parrot lovers so I've grown up with them and I also happened to marry a parrot lover! We currently have a Crimson Bellied Conure who is almost two years old. My favorite species, as well as my "dream bird", is an Eclectus. We have friends that have Vosmaeri Eclectus and have taken care of them while they are on vacation or away from the house for long periods of time. We also rescued a 9 year old female Vosmaeri from a hoarding situation. She was a sweetheart and we bonded quickly, but we later found out after a trip to the vet that she had a fungus growing in her lungs due to the environment she had been previously living in and she would also need hormone shots every month for the rest of her life that cost around $300 each trip. We made the tough decision to find her a home that could afford her care and that would love on her. Luckily she went to friends of ours so we are still able to see her and she is doing fantastic, aside from some plucking.

Anyway, my current predicament is between two Eclectus. A 2 year old Vosmaeri or a 10 year Solomon Island/Red Sided(the current owners weren't aware of her sub species. They got her from a pet store and was just told she was an Eclectus). Both are females. I went to see the 10 year old girl today. She was a little aloof and flighty, but that was to be expected with meeting a new person. They have been her only owners aside from the pet store, but she hasn't been socialized with their children or other people at all. They were afraid she would bite their children so never let them or guests handle her. The husband was her main caretaker. She became egg-bound when she was 4 years old and they had to take her to the vet for that, but she is otherwise healthy and hasn't had any plucking problems. They are rehoming her due to not having enough time and not being able to let her out of her cage because of their dog.

I am going to see the two year old girl tomorrow. The owner said she is very sweet, loves strangers and follows her grandchildren around and lets them handle her. She has started plucking the feathers around her neck about 2 months ago, but the owner said it is not severe. The only change in environment was that one of her grandchildren who was living with her moved out. She is rehoming her because she is an older woman and has two other parrots(Jardines) as well and would like to get down to just one or two birds.

I'm leaning more towards the Vosmaeri, but would love to hear your opinions! Any feedback is appreciated!

Sorry for such the long post!

*Just forgot to add that the 10 year old girl has had her wings clipped since she was a baby. I've heard differing opinions on that, but wasn't sure if it made a difference.

Last edited:

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Exciting. Go with your gut and research the heck out of the subject. It will pay off and either bird will be great.

My male has had a tough start so I will not cut his wings again. Since we has been healthy and able to fly - just a little bit... His whole life has changed, he is so happy. This is a tough subject that is very personal depending on your lifestyle. Maui is still getting used to a harness but still can't fly more that 3feet, so I still have some time.

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

I have experience with eclectus and have done and am still doing tons of research on their diets and habits. I also work from home so am able to spend basically all day with our birds. My gut is telling me to go with the Vossie, but I haven't met her yet. Also forgot to mention that the Vossie has been with her current owner her whole life. She got her from a breeder in Michagin. Not sure of the breeders name, but I will definitely ask tomorrow.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That choice is up to you since it's gonna be you that live with one of them. Either one is fine by me.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi!
I have a male Vos and he is also almost 2. We got him in Dec. and he is a fantastic bird:)
I think it will be easier when you have met both because sometimes the bird picks you:)
Looking forward to hearing which one you decide on!

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

Thanks for all the feedback! I will keep you posted as to what decision we make.

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

Went and saw the Vossie yesterday and we decided to adopt her. Her owner was fantastic and very knowledgeable. She was socialized very well, though is still being a little nippy with me, but that was to be expected.

Most Reactions