Parrots
Alex (Green Cheek Conure, 2.5 years)
AJ (Male Cockatiel, 15 years)
Athena (Female Cockatiel)
Violet (Female Parakeet)
Angel (Female Parakeet)
Sunstreaker (Female Parakeet)
Hello everyone!

I'm *thinking* of adding to my flock. I currently have a GCC, 2 cockatiels, and 3 parakeets.

I was at the Humane Society this evening and saw two adorable little finches (Johnny and June). I don't know what type they are, and I know nothing about finches. So, some questions for you knowledgeble people. XD

I read that they need sunlight. Should it be direct or indirect sunlight? How much sunlight/day is a good amount?

Should they be on a mainly pelleted diet, mainly seeds, or half/half?

Any info I should know before adopting a pair of finches? Any tips/comments/etc you think I should know? Any finch-related stories?

June
Johnny
I've *attempted* to link their profiles at the Humane Society, which has a pic of both of them. Anyone know what type of finches they are?

Thanks!
:green2:

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I dont know much about the specific needs of finches. Those are zebra finches. They are fairly common. Johnny is the normal coloration and June is some mutation of them. I know that a flight cage is a good cage for them. I am pretty sure Julie had finches, I hope she sees this thread.

Bird Cages: HQ Wrought Iron Flight Cage w/ Cart Stand

These are nice cages. They come in white and black. They are readily available. I have one for my tiel. Good luck! I bet you would be a good home for Johnny and June.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Logan (kalypso123) is right :). As far as "needing" full spectrum light, it's good but not absolutely necessary. They won't become ill because of a lack of it, just like with parrots. But just as with parrots, if you can provide it, it would be an added benefit.

I had my finches many years ago (before internet forums) so I didn't quite have the knowledge to do 100% for them, but still they ended up living out their full lifespans.

I had them for several years, then I gave them to a lady with a small aviary. The aviary was on her shaded front porch, so I'm not sure if they really got too much natural light there either. I'm fairly sure she only fed seed mix marketed for finches as I did. One day at about the 10 year mark, I asked her how the finches were doing, and she said they all died. She thought something was wrong, but I told her that I've always read that up to 10 years is the lifespan, and I got them all within a 6 month span when most of them were under a year old. I had some exotic types and Lady Gouldian finches.

Here is a Zebra Finch page. Zebra Finch At the bottom there are diet recommendations. Besides seed, they recommend fresh produce and greens, sprouted seed, and protein such as insects. You can also try boiled or scrambled egg, as long as that is not left to rot in the cage. I'm not sure you should feed too much protein if they are not breeding, but that is something you can easily research on the internet.

OP
AlexTheGreenCheekConure
Oct 10, 2015
Parrots
Violet (Female Parakeet)
Angel (Female Parakeet)
Thanks for the info! I have a cage already (I use to use it for my 'keets, but found a different cage I liked better for them), and I have a bucket of perches and toys at home, so all I'd need to get would be some finch food.

I'm thinking of putting the cage up nearby our living room window, so they can get sun, but will also have a bit of shade if they want to get out of the sun. We also have our windows wrapped for the winter, so that'll keep it from being drafty.

I'll be heading out this afternoon to put Johnny and June on hold so I can go pick up some food then bring them home. ^-^

Thanks for all the help Logan and Julie!

MaxandMorgan

Nov 19, 2015
Las vegas,NV
Parrots
4 parakeets,Angel,Charlie,Ely,Riley
3 zebra finches,Donut,Happy, Llamisa(la-me-sa)
3 conures,fancey conure)Buddy,sun conure)Max,green cheek)Morgan
Hello everyone!

I'm *thinking* of adding to my flock. I currently have a GCC, 2 cockatiels, and 3 parakeets.

I was at the Humane Society this evening and saw two adorable little finches (Johnny and June). I don't know what type they are, and I know nothing about finches. So, some questions for you knowledgeble people. XD

I read that they need sunlight. Should it be direct or indirect sunlight? How much sunlight/day is a good amount?

Should they be on a mainly pelleted diet, mainly seeds, or half/half?

Any info I should know before adopting a pair of finches? Any tips/comments/etc you think I should know? Any finch-related stories?

June
Johnny
I've *attempted* to link their profiles at the Humane Society, which has a pic of both of them. Anyone know what type of finches they are?

Thanks!
:green2:

Hello AlexTheGreenCheekConure,I'd be happy to answere your questions:)

For your finches, the should be set next to a window (partially in the sun coming from the window)for at least a few hours a day.If they stay in the sun too long they can get sun burned and mess up their feathers.

They should have a half and half pellet/seed diet,they need the nutrients.

June may be a society finch,where johnny is definitley a zebra finch.(I have three zebra finches)

And since they are male and female they will start to mate ASAP,so dont put a finch nest in side their cage unless you want zebra babies.(Tip)if you do want zebra babies,make sure to have another cage ready because the parents may kick the babies out or,when the babies grow up enough they may start to mate together which can cause birth defects,or lead to too many in the same space. All birds can get territorial which means they may end up hurting or killing each other either for mates or nests. But if you do put a nest in there you can get two small cages and have two boys in one and two girls in the other(they get along with one another like that)
Be sure not to put three zebra finches together or they may gang up on the weaker finch.

(toy tip)they love string,just no more than 2 inches.

Welp,that seems to be all. Have fun with your two new members of the flock:grey::41:!!!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
June is a zebra finch also. She is a color mutation.

They are very prolific. I would advise against letting them breed, or preventing the eggs from maturing. If they did breed, they would need more than just dry foods to raise healthy chicks.

OP
AlexTheGreenCheekConure
Oct 10, 2015
Parrots
Violet (Female Parakeet)
Angel (Female Parakeet)
I was able to bring Johnny and June home last weekend! Woohoo! I'm in love with their little chirping noises right now (it's a nice change from Alex (GCC) screeching for his breakfast).

I decided against getting them one of those little nests you see finches with at the pet stores. I really don't need to be worrying about babies right now. XD I set them up with a couple perches, a couple toys (which they're scared of, so I took them out. I think they were a little too big for the tiny birds. Gonna creep around the DIY forum and try making some toys for my new babies), two food dishes and two water dishes, and a cuttle bone.

I'm currently feeding them a seed diet, with fruits and veggies daily. I'm searching for a pellet diet for them (any suggestions?).

A couple days after I got them, when I went to refresh their food and water supply when I got up in the morning, they left me a little surprise. In their food dish, was a tiny, adorable little egg. *sigh* Really, guys? Your food dish? I left the thing in there (I just couldn't take it away from them... I'm a sucker). Next day we were up to 3 eggs, and they haven't laid any more for the last couple days.

Anyways, I took a small flashlight to them, and they all seem to be unfertilized. They're kind of horrible parents, as they spend the majority of their time hanging on their perches rather than laying on their eggs. So my question, would it be bad to leave the eggs in there with them? I'm thinking if they have something to take care of, they won't lay any more?

Thanks for the help! Really happy to have these guys in my home now. <3 *Will try to get pics soon!*

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations on the finches!

The canary who lives at a bird store I go to has a bunch of toys. After the finches settle in a bit, try soft shreddable toys like yucca wood. I tried to attach a pic, but my iPad isn't working right (you can google it). I bet they'd like that. Anything shreddable and soft enough. Maybe tiny bells and bright colored toys made for the tiniest birds like budgies.

Harrison's or Roudybush make a tiny size pellet (budgie size) but still might be a little too big and hard for a tiny softbill I'm thinking. But I think I recall seeing one of the multi-colored pellet brands in a super tiny size for finches and canaries. Not sure what brand, but I'd go to Petsmart or Petco and take a look.

I have no idea about egg questions, but the breeding section here has some advice. Good luck with everything. Looking forward to pics whenever you get the chance :).

OP
AlexTheGreenCheekConure
Oct 10, 2015
Parrots
Violet (Female Parakeet)
Angel (Female Parakeet)
I'll stop by PetSmart and maybe Petco tomorrow and raid their bird sections. XD I was at Chuck 'n' Dons earlier this week and didn't see any pellets that looked small enough for Johnny and June. Hopefully I'll have better luck at PetSmart.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
It doesn't really sound like they need pellets. Just good quality seeds, leafy greens/herbs and some insects. I know on the starling board I am on a few people have gotten here: Dried Combo Cuisine - 1 Vial - 1.25 oz Most of the ones that include flies, are really really tiny bugs, so I'm sure they would be fine for finches, if they are ok with dead ones that is.

They are super cute. I love finches. I'm always trying to attract the wild ones to my yard. Some day when I have a much bigger home I want an aviary of them. The female Zebra's and their little beeping they do just makes me happy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts