Adoptive Parents of 2 Senegal Parrots

amiatree

Jun 18, 2014
Parrots
2 Senegals, 2 parakeets.
We've just adopted 2 Senegal Parrots 6 and 7 years old. Male and Female. They have very few words. She just says about 2 phrases I can understand, and her name, he only says her name. They both whistle and scream.

Is there hope that I can teach them more words? Or is it too late?

They started out never being in contact with each other...lived across the room in separate cages. While here in a week, they were together, but 2 weeks later had a set back when someone from their old home visited. They are back sharing a cage again, but fight sometimes. I'm usually around, to break it up. Will this get better?

Thanks for any advice!
:rainbow1::rainbow1:

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just my .02 but I wouldn't house them together unless they are a bonded pair. Sennies don't play well with others. I have two, a brother and sister and they would gladly eat each other.

It's never too late to learn more words, but whether they will or not there's really no way to know.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to post pics when you can.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forum. I would also like to see pics. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome!

Like Karen said, Sennies (and related family) don't play well together unless they're a bonded pair.

It's never too late to learn new words and sounds, but some birds are just more inclined to mimick than others I think. I've had my Red Bellied (relative of Sennies) for nearly 20 years, and he is STILL picking up new words and sounds.

OP
A

amiatree

Jun 18, 2014
Parrots
2 Senegals, 2 parakeets.
Soooo, how do you get them to learn to talk? I have said some words over and over and greet them with the same phrases.
Our son suggested that I put on a recording of one song to play over and over (loop). Would that work?
They are 6 & 7 years old and have only one or 2 words. They both say her name.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wouldn't suggest playing a recording in a loop because it would be like saying things over and over, which doesn't always work no matter how many times a day you say it.

It seems they just like the sound of some words or sounds, and pick them up instantly, whereas other words or sounds we TRY to teach, they never pick up. I wish I had more insight as to why some birds (of a species known to talk) don't talk, while others of the same species do. Keep trying... Good luck :)

Most Reactions