Advice on cross country move

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
IMO, either get a good in-car travel setup, or start contacting airlines. I would personally ONLY either drive or fly with the bird on my person at all times. I would NOT trust anyone. Whether it be theft, abuse, inexperience, whatever, I would not trust any sort of transport company. And no way in hell would I fly with and leave the bird in cargo, even the nicest "pet friendly" cargo would be traumatizing. JMO.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If you decided to have one member fly first class, you might actually end up with more room under your seat...not sure though. Some airlines, I can't even fit my purse under the seat...and it's about the size of a very small laptop in height/length and the width is maybe 8 inches (FULL)...Anyway, it can't stow half of the time in coach, but depends on the airline.

First class seats offer a far better experience for the passenger, but some airlines/aircraft have entertainment control boxes located below the seat, severely restricting available space - in many cases worse than a coach seat. Not a function of the aircraft, but the type of seat and level of onboard entertainment selected by individual airlines. A trend in the U.S. is for domestic aircraft to have streaming systems to the passenger's device.

OP
sunshine.within

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
Thank you for all your comments!
So far Iā€™m inclined to leave flying with Bianca as the last resort. What worries me the most is the inspection of the carrier. I doubt Bianca would come out of the carrier willingly, and if she did come out putting her back inside would be almost impossible. I would surely get bitten in one or more parts of the process.
Making the long drive with her seems preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sunshine.within

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Once you know what you are doing and what carrier you will be using, try to get her used to it (just visually ) and then try driving her to places she enjoys---if she has a favorite person other than you, drive to them and have fun with her there. If you only associate the carrier with "scary" things, then there will be a bigger fight each time.

OP
sunshine.within

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
What do you guys think of this? Is it worth the investment?

https://www.celltei.com/products/pak-o-bird-ml-size.html

59aa2d203655f568a14f33f2b29465a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
sunshine.within

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
Once you know what you are doing and what carrier you will be using, try to get her used to it (just visually ) and then try driving her to places she enjoys---if she has a favorite person other than you, drive to them and have fun with her there. If you only associate the carrier with "scary" things, then there will be a bigger fight each time.

Yes there is someone I can take her to. I hope I can arrange a meet up before the move.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What do you guys think of this? Is it worth the investment?

https://www.celltei.com/products/pak-o-bird-ml-size.html

59aa2d203655f568a14f33f2b29465a2.jpg

If this is a Celltei? they get great reviews...but I watched a Youtube video of a man testing out one for a cockatoo and IT WAS HUUUUUGE (understandably...but not really backpack-sized). Anyway, he did say his first cockatoo destroyed it, but the one in the video did not...hard to say. I also wonder how you can clean them if the outside is exposed to germs (like at the vet) or if water and food/poop etc fall down the inner-walls....

Most Reactions