advice please on getting my second bird

keegan

Oct 29, 2010
I got my green cheek pineapple conure not all that long ago and fell completely in love with him. Both my boyfriend (birdie daddy) and I adore the little guy Kingston though recently he has been molting which seems to be making him really aggressive :( Now that I have realized just how amazing having a bird is I really want to get a large breed bird. I recently found out about the goffin cockatoo which I think would be the perfect fit. As much as I love my conure and wouldn't give him up for the world he is a bit aggressive towards anyone but me or his dad and I really want a family friendly bird as well. Though I really want a goffin cockatoo I am worried about Kingston feeling jealous because he is use to not sharing my attention. I feel like I do have a enough room and love for them both but I am nor sure how he will feel about sharing. I am hoping someone could give me advice about bringing a new bird into the home without upsetting my conure. :green1:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
My advice is probably what you wouldn't like to hear. I have had budgies for four years, and once upon a time I wanted a macaw. Now I wouldn't dream of getting another bird. You're getting a new bird because you want a larger one and your current one is aggressive? Most birds get grumpy while moulting. It is natural. You have only had a conure for a short space of time. My advice- don't get another bird right this minute, unless you can quarantine, keep them in separate places of the house, and divide your attention equally and spare 4 hours+ a day.

myparrothelp

Oct 27, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Bobby (Bare Eyed Cockatoo), Sunny (Congo African Grey) Hawk (Orange bellied senegal ) and used to own Buddie (an orange winged amazon)
If your completely convinced you want another bird, i would recommend a bare eyed cockatoo over a goffin. They are really playful a bit more independant and alot more comical aswell as better talkers :) But thats my advice. Cockatoos are quite demanding and will take away alot of attention from the other bird...even if you plan on spending equal amounts of time, the cockatoo will go to extreme lengths to get your attention.....screaming while your hanging out with the other bird, dump out its food and or water, etc. But thats my take...I have 3 parrots, a senegal, african grey and bare eyed cockatoo :) the cockatoo is defientely the one who needs the most attention and demands it to be that way, as well as my senegal does not like to share my husband and I. He lets us know this by giving us really nasty bites when we dont say hi to him first or spend too much time with the others.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
I agree with ratzy
from what I read in your post it sounds alot like you want a cockatoo because there known to be cuddly etc and right now since your bird is acting up that looks very attractive

I suggest giving it time and working with your current bird a few more months and then re evaluate if another bird is really what you want

Good luck

Most Reactions