Advice please.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Hi all, I recently developed an allergy or eczema on my hands and it was rather severe and my doctor prescribed cream. The cream is helping but I am concerned as it has cortisone in it and I am worried about handling Puffin. Does anyone know if this is dangerous?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I would say if the cream has fully absorbed into your skin it should be ok to touch your bird.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Yes, the cortisone cream could get onto Puffin's body. Cortisone has a lot of side effects! Topical effects would include weakening the skin collagen and easy bruising. If Puffin gets it into his eyes, it might cause glaucoma. If Puffin preens himself and gets it into his system, physiological effects would include fluid and electrolyte imbalances (sodium retention and associated fluid retention, potassium loss) and immunosupression. Repeated ingestion over any time period longer than a couple of days would lead to inhibition of corticotrophin releasing hormone and therefore inhibition of ACTH secretion, which would be dangerous when the cortisone is suddenly stopped, resulting in an acute adrenal insufficiency crisis.

WASH HANDS before handling Puffin, Puffin's food and water, and Puffin's food and water bowls!

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Oh, I forgot, the cortisone would also increase blood sugar levels, increasing Puffin's likelihood of getting a crop yeast infection.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I would let it absorb, and then wash your hands thoroughly before handling your bird. I always wash my hands anyway before handling each of them as I know I do things like pick crusties off my eyelashes (have severe dry eye), and pet the cat and who knows what else I might not notice. I also wash my hands before handling their food.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Is Puff frightened of gloves? Just the thin, fabric sort? I am very sensitive to soap (lucky me) and I was also prescribed a cortisone cream. I used to get really bad flare ups. I'd just wear fabric gloves when handling my bird. But mine was bad. Washing my hands resulted in bleeding.... so needless to say, I avoided it when possible.

OP
caliopi

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Thank you everyone .Enjru I never even thought of gloves what a great idea! I don't think he would mind that at all and would far prefer gloves to my not touching him at all!
I am very cautious with cortisone cream as many years ago my son was a baby and had very reaction to formula and needed a cortisone cream. I got up in the middle of the night and applied some after his feed and washed my hands and went back to bed and when I woke in the morning I had a sore eye. I nearly died when I went into the bathroom and saw a blister had formed over my eye. The doctor said I must have had some under my nail and rubbed my eye when I woke up and some had gotten into my eye. After that I always was my hands thoroughly but it worried me about Puffin.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
What about the thin disposable latex or vinyl gloves? They are tight fitting and water proof so the cream wouldn't get absorbed into fabric. And they might not be as alarming to the bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts