Advice please!...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
,,,,as most of you folk know,a while ago I made my first attempt with chop:eek:
I thought I did quite well honestly. A good variety of grub and brewed with TLC :D

For the first few day's it looked like Amy was really gung-ho,noshing a few times a day with 10 or 15 minutes sit downs
Now,he turns his beak up at it then turn's and walk's away:mad: Used to be he'd "HUH?" in the bowl and give me one of THOSE looks :eek:
Now he just looks in the bowl and turns and walks away.
I have found Amy now at his emergency pellet/seed bowl more often and he's been on his basement floor,tearing up the new's paper's and looking for scrape's he had thrown from his nummy bowl.

I don't think the paper thing is hormonal. I can prolly count on one hand how many times Amy has trashed his carpet I'm wondering if he is now on a hunger strike and not getting enough?
I do add "extra" stuff after filling his bowl. I have found moisture of course after the de-thaw and end up nuking the grub just enough to get 90% of moisture out,then pat the rest with paper towls.

Not eating is concerning me..Some one kick me in the butt and yell at me to get a scale :green: :grey:

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim! Get a scale!

Could be your nuking it too much? I do 30 sec at normal power, and mix in some avicake or nutraberries crushed up, to soak up the moisture.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Jim! Get a scale!

Could be your nuking it too much? I do 30 sec at normal power, and mix in some avicake or nutraberries crushed up, to soak up the moisture.

Yep that's as far as I go too Al. Just enough to get the "chill" out of the meal and moisture.
All of my kid's,past and present,prefered their chow just slightly warm.

Jim

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Jim you can pep it up, put some fresh good with it. I don't nuke mine, (think it takes additional nutrition out) I take from freezer leave out for little while and then into the fridge. My fussy pants is fine with this.

If you havent already put in things like rice, pasta, egg, quinoa, sprouted seeds, weeds; ie dandelion, chick weed, these can be used to add interest. Also some slices of pepper, chilli, salad, Plum likes the Bistro salad with beetroot slivers, lambs lettuce etc, beans, sugar snap peas etc. (Two max added)

Think how would you like the same thing every meal? If Amy is being just plain stubborn and there is an alternative then you will not win this battle. Give the chop plus couple of additions before anything else. Yep Plum goes hunting for lost treasure when he is hungry too.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, based on your statement: "Some one kick me in the butt and yell at me to get a scale" So with both Al and now me saying it: Consider yourself well kick and yelled at!

Most Reactions

Latest posts