Advice re fabric toy creation

Ambermai

Oct 24, 2013
My bird loves to climb on my shirt and burrow, which I'm trying to discourage as I think it's part of his trying to nest with me.
However, I was thinking of making a hanging "toy shirt" for his cage...has anyone does this before? Looking for creative ideas!
Thanks!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Because Valentino was a baby when he first came here I felt he needed some sort of security set up. Somewhere he could perch where he could feel safe. I learned that RFM's like to feel things touch their backs. Apparently this helps them feel secure and relaxed. I set up Valentino's roosting perch with part of a baby blanked tied to the top of the cage and the blanket hangs down just a tad behind the perch. It looks kind of like a curtain of security blanket for the Valentino. At first I thought he never used it and almost took it down but Lupe took pictures of him using it to prove to me it needed to stay. During the day when I am in my office working and he is in his cage he will have a period of time he jibber jabbers and talks to himself saying all sorts of things he had and is learning. Its like practice time for him. I caught him one day during this time with the blanket draped across him, his head exposed leaning forward while talking. It was very cute.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
100_2474_zpsb9775bf5.jpg

OP
A

Ambermai

Oct 24, 2013
That's so cute! Both my birds have a snuggle hut, so maybe they'd like this variation, too. I might just give that a shot, it does look like a security blanket for them.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
What I like is the probability of this setup stimulating hormones is not very high. I promised myself when Valentino becomes sexually mature and if the security blanket set up became a problem I would take it down. I don't think it will though. Currently he likes to perch there with the blanket draped across his back and talk to himself. He practices his words and phrases..its very adorable. I figured out why I never saw him using the blanket set up was because every time I came down the stairs to see he knows the sound of my footsteps so he would run to the front of the cage hoping I would take him out. LOL

Last edited:

Most Reactions