ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
My male conure has gotten comfortable with me … toooo comfortable. He’s beginning to try and be naughty with my hand. Whats the best way to stop this as I know if can lead to health concerns. I get him off and seconds later hes back. Would getting another conure of the same sex help get the attention off of me?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Don't get anouther bird for your bird.

It's the season....

don't pet on the lower back and try to give it 12 hours sleep a night.

Other than that if it's going to hump you.....well it's going to hump you. Yes discourage it but....well....

I Know it can lead to health concerns with females being eggbound, not so much with males....other than it's gross. Basically this is one of those areas I think where you're kind of on your own and the bird is safe so no need for anything from us. It will pass.

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure

It's the season....

Other than that if it's going to hump you.....well it's going to hump you. Yes discourage it but....well....

I Know it can lead to health concerns with females being eggbound, not so much with males....other than it's gross. Basically this is one of those areas I think where you're kind of on your own and the bird is safe so no need for anything from us. It will pass.
Oh! Ok - sorry hes my first conure and when doing research I heard about health concerns and I guess I didn’t pick up on the male vs female part. Definitely dont pet him anywhere but head though. Thanks for responding!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hormones....
You can reduce but never get rid of their effect.
no touching except head
no dark hiding spot
no access to shreddy type materials
12 hrs solid sleep
reduced or no sugar bearing foods, like fruits, corn etc

And remember "This Too SHall Pass"

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Hormones....
You can reduce but never get rid of their effect.
no touching except head
no dark hiding spot
no access to shreddy type materials
12 hrs solid sleep
reduced or no sugar bearing foods, like fruits, corn etc

And remember "This Too SHall Pass"
no sugary foods good to know!

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure

It's the season....

hi again - i just wanted some clarification… when you said dont get another bird for my bird - are you implying no second bird ever?

im not sure how to word this - if I was getting a second bird theyd be separated until I was 100% sure they were not aggressive towards each other.

when i wrote my original post i was thinking more in the sense that they are flock animals and have that instinct to be with other birds.

sorry if this doesnt make sense i just wanted a better understanding

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I believe what Clark-Conure meant is that getting a second parrot (or third, etc) should be done becsue you want the additional parrot, and not to be a ;friend; or flock mate for an existing one. Adding to your flock can have several different outcomes, and not always the one expected or desired. Sometimes they hate each other, sometimes they become such good biddies that you are now excluded. And every variation on that theme in between those extremes. Its impossible to predict what the outcome will be and you have to be prepared to accept whatever that is.

Not to mention that adding a second parrot means 2X the mess, expense, noise and you most likely have to split your attention time between them.

One of the reason parrots make such good companion animals is that flock instinct, but WE become the flock to them.

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
I believe what Clark-Conure meant is that getting a second parrot (or third, etc) should be done becsue you want the additional parrot, and not to be a ;friend; or flock mate for an existing one. Adding to your flock can have several different outcomes, and not always the one expected or desired. Sometimes they hate each other, sometimes they become such good biddies that you are now excluded. And every variation on that theme in between those extremes. Its impossible to predict what the outcome will be and you have to be prepared to accept whatever that is.

Not to mention that adding a second parrot means 2X the mess, expense, noise and you most likely have to split your attention time between them.

One of the reason parrots make such good companion animals is that flock instinct, but WE become the flock to them.
thank you for responding! in my op I made it sound like an second bird would be for the bird but obviously if I were to get a second bird it is because i wanted that addition. my original thought was the flock mentality that a second bird for me would eventually become a friend for 1st baby. But I see that it can be anything. Thanks for clearing things up for me

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Wrench13 deftly explained what I meant by that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts