Advice

Pumpkin

Apr 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Pumpkin: 2 year old Male Jenday
Eddie: 11 year old Female yellow rengneck
Hi all, I am a South African living in Gauteng in South Africa I have two parrots a Jenday Conure (Pumpkin a 2 year old male) and Ring neck (Eddie a 11 year old female).

I hoping for some advice my Conure was attacked at 2am this morning by a wild rat. We were woken by the birds screaming we flew into the room with our dogs and uncovered both birds only to see the evil glance of a rat with a mouth full of feather I quickly opened the cage and my husband ran to get his pellet gun but took too long so I hit the rat with the torch I had in my hand to get it out the cage in the hope my dogs would kill it once out the cage (they are very good at vermin control) but it go away (but I will be going on a witch hunt tonight)

I was finally able to pick my poor boy up, he was covered in bites and was in shock we immediately moved the cage into our spare room and put the heater on to try raise his temp and get him relax a little by this point it was already 3am and the emergency vet is very far away from where we stay and I knew our vet would be open at 7am.

We took him to the vet who gave him two injections one for pain and the other an antibiotic. He said the wounds seem superficial and he will need to be brought back every morning for more injections for the next 2 – 3 days.

I am hoping for some advice on if there is anything else I can do to assist him to recovery we gave him lots of fruit and sugar water as per the vet’s advice but he wasn’t interested in either.

Please HELP

Last edited:
OP
P

Pumpkin

Apr 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I have had to go to work and can't stop worrying about my poor little boy. The fact that I currently have flu and am operating on 2 hours sleep is not exactly helping. he was such a trooper at the vet this morning and was even trying to play with me as sore and in shock.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I wish you the best for your little guy [I have no experience with bites] . Sounds like things are hopeful ,your doing everything you can right now. Take care ,Keep us updated.

OP
P

Pumpkin

Apr 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Thank you :) I will do.... I'm leaving the office shortly to go home

Most Reactions