Advise for settling in my new Green Cheek and a cage question.

VJB

May 16, 2016
Hello
I am bringing my new Green Cheek Conure home on Sunday. He is a very friendly bird around 3-5 months old they are not sure exactly and I have visited him often. He steps up and climbs up my arm onto my shoulder where he preens and sits quite happily, he does still bite though.
I wanted to know the best way to settle him when I get him home. Should I put him straight in his new cage with lots of toys and branches or only have one toy in the cage and few branches so as not to overwhelm him?
Should I leave him and let him settle for a few days or bring him out the cage.
I am not sure what to do for the best and welcome any advice as to the best way to settle a new bird into the family.
I also wanted to ask as I need to get a cage asap would it be better to get an upright cage with a playtop stand on the top or a cage that arches at the top. I am still searching for the right cage and not sure what to opt for.
Thanks so much

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Congratulations on your upcoming addition!

These are just my thoughts, others will chime in with more :). I would tend to err on the side of a few toys and several good perches in the cage. This will allow him to explore but not be overwhelmed. You can add more toys as you see what he likes/doesn’t like. I would put him into his cage so he can find his food and water and start getting used to your household. How long you he stays in there is something that you’ll probably have to get your queues from him. Some are fearful or nervous and need time to settle, others want out to be where the people are. I’ve had both ends of the spectrum. I recommend their cage be in a main area of the house where they can be part of the family, rather than tucked away in a quiet room. Not in the kitchen, but the living area where they can feel like part of a flock.

For cage, I would suggest more width than height. My conures make lots of miles around the top half of their cage and really don’t use the height (I have 3 conures). There’s more space to hang toys without crowding if you have width as well. Mine almost never use the play top, but I know some birds really like it. When I bought my biggest cage, I skipped the play top and don’t regret it at all. I have perches and play stands around the house for them, so they almost never play on top of their cages. My conures are all really active, and have to be caged while I’m at work, so I have them in pretty large cages - they can play and flap in them while I’m out of the house. The cage size needed, I tend to suggest larger is better (wider and deeper, rather than taller) but it very much depends on how much time your new guy is going to be in it as well.

Hope you’ll share some pictures once you bring him home :)

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
I'll start you off until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

I prefer the flat top cages. It doesn't have to come with a play top, you can build you own play area on top. If you haven't already, read 'Please stop: "buying the biggest cage you can afford is the best rule of thumb"' on sizing. If your GCC is going to spend a lot of daylight hours in the cage I would go BIG at least 30"L x 24"W. Think giant playground.

As for setup, go ahead and put a lot of stuff in to start, but make sure there is someplace to hide. Preferably in one of the upper back corners where it will be against the wall. Give the little guy a secure place to retreat.

As for how to settle him in, take your cues from him. If he seems comforted by being held - hold him. If he is in the cage but calling out then sit with him. If having people near the cage freaks him out, leave him be. Do not force him into uncomfortable situations. If he retreats, he's not ready.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You will have to feel it out. I wouldn't put more than 1 or 2 toys in (depending on the size). I would bring him home and place him directly in or on his new cage (either carry him to it if you can, or allow him to climb out of his carrier into the other)...Then remove the carrier from the area. Many websites are more delicate with theirs than I was with mine...I just put her on the cage--there was no silent time etc...but yours is young, and mine was a re-homed cockatoo. It really depends on the bird. I would make sure your bird has enough perches to get from the top of the cage to the bottom (and vice-versa---especially when young) and I wold encourage you to make sure you have a variety of textures. On the main perch, you will want enough space for him to flap his wings at night (if frightened) without slamming into things)...at least, that is what I do for my cockatoo, but they aren't the same soo.....

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Lots of good advice from the other posts, but I'll add mine anyway. :) Your post sounds so much like the things I asked when I was about to bring Yoda home, so I want to say the things to you that I wish I could have said to myself. ;)

1. For his cage, wider is more useful than taller. If he is going to be outside of his cage during most his waking hours, then you can get away with a less large cage. Don't go smaller than 22 x 22.

2. If you live in a small space and expect to be near his cage most of the time during the day, then a playtop is nice because it makes good use of your living space. However, it's more handy to have a playgym that can be easily moved around to whatever room you are. If you're fine moving his cage around all the time, then no biggie. For myself, I went with a flat top cage and a separate mobile playgym that I can wheel around to whatever room we are in.

3. When he first comes home, put him in his new cage. I suggest having plenty of perches in there (a nice variety of types, and plenty for him to climb around on without being over-crowded). Probably just one toy in there for now. He's not likely to want to play with toys right away until he gets comfortable, and a bunch of toys might even scare him.

4. If he is scared of you at first, let him calm down and relax and allow him to feel safe in his cage. Stay nearby with the door open when you are there, and let him come to you. Don't grab him, let him set the pace. However, if he is scared of his cage and wants to be with you, by all means hold him! That's how it was for Yoda when we brought him home. He didn't want to be away from us and we had to stay nearby to help him get used to his cage and accept it as his home.

Good luck and congratulations! :D

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yay congrats on your (almost) new addition!!

I just got my new cockatiel a couple weeks ago, and here's what I did...

He came home in a carrier and the breeder suggested I take him into the bathroom where it's quiet and allow him to come out onto my hand and sit with him for a few minutes (like 20) and let that bond begin here. Then I moved him (slowly, on my hand) into his new cage in the living room.

His cage has a bunch of toys and perches when I put him in it, so to keep it the least stressful for your new guy, you don't want to be changing things around as he's still adjusting so my suggestion is to put in everything you plan to put in (all the perches and toys that will fit) and hold him in front of the cage for a couple minutes first, door open, let him see inside it, and then slowly coax him onto one of the perches. A variety is good -- soft rope perches, natural wood perches, and concrete perches (helps nails stay trimmed). Toys to shred, swing on and climb are good.

As a rule, biting birds should not be allowed on shoulders! Sitting on the shoulder is a privilege that is earned! Only birds that will step up and no biting should be allowed there. Otherwise, you can keep him on a stand, on your hand, and work with him to curb the biting.

Hope all goes well!!

Last edited:

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Hopefully, he’ll be out of his cage more than in it, so I wouldn’t worry so much about that. Sometimes the cage is such a wonderful playground that they don’t want to come out. Make the most enjoyable time outside of his cage. I had Birdie in a tiny cage when I brought her home until I decided which cage was best. I ended up getting her a fairly large dome topped stainless steel cage which I spent a fortune on and which she only uses at night or when we go out. She never plays with the toys in her cage, but doesn’t object to being put in it. It’s a place for sleep and protection.

TheNamesLuna

Jul 30, 2018
UK
Parrots
Pineapple Conure hatched sometime April 2018
I had a budgie for 13 years who died in 2014
HI

I brought my Luna home 2 weeks ago today & she is lovely.
This is a link to the cage that I brought for her, here in the UK.
Bird Cage I got from Ebay in UK - NEW
I don't know if you are in the UK or USA or somewhere else but the same cage maybe available to you.
Luna loves it - there is lots of room for her to climb, explore & flap, and the cage is all metal - no plastic bits to break.
Also the stand on the top of the cage outside is great, and Luna worked out the ladder in no time!
I had help putting it together but it was easy, just need 4 hands!
I am of the opinion that its better to get a good cage - buy cheep, buy twice.

As to handling when you get home, watch for the birds reaction.
Luna was hand reared and could not wait to get out the cage
it sounds like your one maybe the same as you are already forming a bond.

The best toy I have brought Luna was on the recommendation of someone from my local pet shop who has an African Grey.
This is the toy she recommended.

The toy recommended for Luna that she now loves.

She is learning to play on it, and its proving a great portable stand for her when she wants to be near me out the cage, but I don't want her on me if I am busy doing something.

Have fun - I know you will!

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I'll offer my .02 regarding cages. My Pineapple is almost 8 months old and I bought him a cage almost identical to TheNamesLuna mentioned in her post. After placing toys, perches, swings, I wish I had purchased a LARGER cage.
It's true that they will not use the height to often so the advice to go wider than higher is true.

My Conure's favorite thing to do is play on his Boing. This one goes from the top of his cage all the way to the bottom. He loves to lay (upside down) on the bottom grate and play with the bell on the end so, in this case, he does use the height of the cage.

He is VERY active and I still would recommend a larger cage or wider one if you can. Mine has a play top and he rarely uses it at all.
The only way I would recommend this size or smaller would be if the cage will be used minimally.

Good luck.

Most Reactions