afraid of tables

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I want to train with my Sun on a flat surface in addition to the T stand we use. I found a snack table there are two problems with it. 1). It's kind of low for me. ( train her while standing and 2) she is afraid to be on it.

What kind of tables should I train her on that are higher and would make her less afraid. She doesn't mind being on my desk but it is full of stuff. Maybe that's why she likes it.

Anyway, suggestions on either how to help her be cool with a snack table or another folding portable option.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I want to train with my Sun on a flat surface in addition to the T stand we use. I found a snack table there are two problems with it. 1). It's kind of low for me. ( train her while standing and 2) she is afraid to be on it.

What kind of tables should I train her on that are higher and would make her less afraid. She doesn't mind being on my desk but it is full of stuff. Maybe that's why she likes it.

Anyway, suggestions on either how to help her be cool with a snack table or another folding portable option.
I have a 48" round marble kitchen table that my husband and I sit at all the time in our one large living area space. Our budgies' cages are all within 10 feet of this table. We eat there, talk there, and just hang out there most of the time we're home and not sleeping. It's standard table height.
Rocky, the female budgie we hand raised from an egg last year, hangs out there with us. We keep a bowl of her little "toys" on this table- trinkets like coins, bottle caps, q-tips, zip-ties, etc and she flies over and takes out her toys and we play with her. It would be a perfect place for training sessions, and I ordered a couple intelligence training toys (basketball hoop, ring toss, etc) and plan to set them up on this table to try to train her or at least let her play with them. A TV tray size table would be too small for training sessions and my wood floors are obviously too low and despite daily vacuuming, not clean enough. She would eat any little piece of dirt she could find.
Lowes sells square plastic resin folding tables of many sizes that you can set up and use for training and fold up and stash when not using but I think it helps if the training table is something they see in the room every day or they may be scared of it. Rocky isn't afraid of anything but so many birds are suspicious of new objects. Maybe if you set up a table like that and incorporated it into a place where you regularly sit and put some favorite toys on it your bird would enjoy playing and training on it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a 48" round marble kitchen table that my husband and I sit at all the time in our one large living area space. Our budgies' cages are all within 10 feet of this table. We eat there, talk there, and just hang out there most of the time we're home and not sleeping. It's standard table height.
Rocky, the female budgie we hand raised from an egg last year, hangs out there with us. We keep a bowl of her little "toys" on this table- trinkets like coins, bottle caps, q-tips, zip-ties, etc and she flies over and takes out her toys and we play with her. It would be a perfect place for training sessions, and I ordered a couple intelligence training toys (basketball hoop, ring toss, etc) and plan to set them up on this table to try to train her or at least let her play with them. A TV tray size table would be too small for training sessions and my wood floors are obviously too low and despite daily vacuuming, not clean enough. She would eat any little piece of dirt she could find.
Lowes sells square plastic resin folding tables of many sizes that you can set up and use for training and fold up and stash when not using but I think it helps if the training table is something they see in the room every day or they may be scared of it. Rocky isn't afraid of anything but so many birds are suspicious of new objects. Maybe if you set up a table like that and incorporated it into a place where you regularly sit and put some favorite toys on it your bird would enjoy playing and training on it.
Since you want a higher table, try looking for a bistro hight round table about 36 inches round at Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart. If the problem is that she won't go on the table, you need to get her used to it being in the environment and being used daily. Maybe put it right next to a place where you sit and hang out and put some treats and toys on it. Consider the surface too. Maybe putting a familiar blanket or towel over it so she can walk without slipping.

Most Reactions

Latest posts