African Gray is losing her balance!

Abubirdsmom

Mar 16, 2014
Temecula, CA
Parrots
African Gray - Abu
I'm new to the Parrot Forum and would love advice from other owners. Abu is 20 years old (hatched June, 1994) and has been feather picking for over 10 years. It really escalated when I moved into a home last year that has a water softener, yet the water here is extremely high in Chlorine content (and this softener doesn't remove it). I'm theorizing that her excess dander & picking is from dry, itchy skin. So ... I read up on using pure aloe vera and distilled water and have been spraying her 3 to 4 times per day, alternating from the aloe mixture to pure distilled water. It may be strictly coincidental, but lately she has begun to lose her balance and fall (if I don't spot it in time and grab her). Any ideas? --AR (Arlis)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'd truly recommend you get Abu to an Avian Vet as soon as possible.

Additionally, I'd only give her bottled water to drink.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Greys are prone to calcium deficiency and imbalance is a sign of that. Your bird needs to see an avian vet ASAP

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I agree with Wendy. She need to be evaluated ASAP by an avian vet.

I also live in So Cal, and have always given all my fids bottled water. I even put bottled water into their bathing bowls in case they want to sip on it while they're taking a bath.

Most Reactions