After a month barely any progress towards taming

Jelias93

Jan 6, 2017
It's been about a month and I'm starting to get really upset and impatient with my conure. She literally is still scared of any human being, will not let you remotely get close to touching her and barely plays with her toys.

I've tried hand feeding through the cage and she just stares at me. She won't come out of her cage at all and I don't know what to do anymore.

I feel as though this bird will never be tame.
Please help me

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
A month isnt too long in the mind of a smart, sensitive conure...
Listen to the little darling's fear and think good thoughts. Sit nearby and just read or sing or chat with it...
I have had my Patagonian for decades, and he still has episodes of fear or fury or such.
I'm glad you found us.
Time will help.
I know you'll get good advice here. Meanwhile, the SEARCH tab is a good engine to use for looking for previous threads on building trust and related issues...
This dear little bird is only a few generations out of the wild...
I'm glad you're reaching out.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I'm always on here asking for help taming a B&G rescue, and some of the best advice I found was:

1. Practice approaching the cage. If you have a clicker, you can use it during this. You start from out of sight, and slowly walk toward the cage. As soon as the bird starts to act nervous, stop and back up a couple of steps until it calms down. Wait a few seconds. Then take another couple of steps toward the cage. When the bird looks nervous again, stop and back up. You will have to use intuition to sense how long to stand there between attempts, and how nervous the bird is. You might even have to leave the room and start over. But in a very short period of time you should be able to walk up to the cage slowly without causing a fear reaction, because the bird has learned to accept your approach. When you back off, you are giving him some sense of control which interrupts the fear cycle.

2. Once you can be near the cage without causing panic, pull up a chair and read to him. You can read a children's book, you can read some of the bird taming bonding trust threads, just read something in a calm voice. Glance sideways now and then to see what reaction you are getting. You might spend a little while on these two steps, but consider it as the foundation of a house. You wouldn't say, I'm in a hurry, let's just put up the roof without starting with a solid foundation and walls. You won't be able to progress to the fun stuff without starting with breaking the fear cycle, getting the bird to be calm around you, then you can start working getting the bird to accept treats, then you can start working on step up, then you are on your way. Once you slow down and back up, things will probably begin to change.

3. Also, be CALM. Birds can sense when we are nervous. I know they see into the UV wavelengths, don't know about IR, but maybe they can see blood flow changes in our skin or observe something from the speed of our movements or tone of voice? Gus can absolutely tell when I'm calm and when I'm excited. If I go to him singing and dancing and carrying on he will run away. I have to take a few minutes in another room to breathe deeply, relax, ground myself in the present moment, and then go say Hi.

4. Patience! Do work with him, but let his reaction guide the pace of your interactions. Push just a little, then back off, and sometimes just wait for him to decide to approach. It will work, it always seems to work eventually. Good luck to you both! Take heart!

Most Reactions