again?! now my kakariki might have eaten a cleaning bead!

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I just posted 2 days ago about Kirby chewing rust. Now he might have eaten a cleaning bead! He keeps somehow finding things I didn't know were there. Even though I constantly wath him! He found a cleaning bead and grabbed it in his beak. I chased him around. He stopped. I chased him some more and he few around
When he next stopped, the bead was gone. It all happened so quickly. I don't know if he dropped it or ate it. I found one under the bed where he flew that might be it but there were more in that area. My mom a loooonnngg time ago, maybe over a year put cleaning beads in all different spots, I still haven't been able to get them all
. The carpet is clean of them of they were on a shelf he was on!

He seems to be acting pretty normal. Its been about 10 minutes, is that too soon to tell! Would he really swallow a thing like that? I can't take him to the vet today. I'm so worried, he keeps finding things in hard to reach places!!

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
By the way, he justest pooped and its normal colored. The bead is pink, could that be a clue that he dropped it?

I just feel like such a bad bird owner. There's been so many times he's reached in a place and found something I didn't know existed. This is the worse one yet.

Edit: now that I look at it again, it looks more watery. That could also be because I haven't feed him yet and he's just had water and some extra seeds today.

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
He just pooped again. The same as the last on but it has a few bubbles in it. The dosent mean anything does it?

Sorry I'm just so worried :(

Edit:he also seems to be pooping often. He pooped 3 times since it happened.
Would I be seeing symptoms yet?

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Its been about 45 minutes, acting normal.

I appreciate any answers of what you think I should do

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Not entirely sure. I think carpet cleaning scented ones?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Maybe call your vet and ask, there really is no way of knowing what the effects would be and what to watch for.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Kaks are incredibly curious, the tiniest little spec of anything really.
I had to go over my bedroom with a fine tooth comb.... totally bird proofing the room. I even bought the child proof plugs for the outlets, just in case.
I've caught him chewing tv cables, the trim on our door, and goes under our bed, to find anything I missed with the vacuum.
so I can understand why you are worried, I don't know what cleaning beads are, but they can't be good for him.
If he did swallow it, it will likely get stuck in his crop, or cause internal problems.
I don't think birds normally run and swallow at the same time, so maybe he dropped it.
If your going to worry about this, take him to the vet, is there anyone around that can take him in for you?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kaks are incredibly curious, the tiniest little spec of anything really.
I had to go over my bedroom with a fine tooth comb.... totally bird proofing the room. I even bought the child proof plugs for the outlets, just in case.
I've caught him chewing tv cables, the trim on our door, and goes under our bed, to find anything I missed with the vacuum.
so I can understand why you are worried, I don't know what cleaning beads are, but they can't be good for him.
If he did swallow it, it will likely get stuck in his crop, or cause internal problems.
I don't think birds normally run and swallow at the same time, so maybe he dropped it.
If your going to worry about this, take him to the vet, is there anyone around that can take him in for you?
He did stop every once in a while. Nobody can take him to the vet until my mom gets home at 9:00.
Would I have seen symptoms if he has internal problems?
I called the vet and she just said to Cal the poison control center which has a fine.
I hae no idea. He hasn't eaten anything inedible yet. I've been watching him, he's acting fine but I'm still getting increasingly worried.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
How long after it happened can I be sure he's ok?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Update: been 4 hours and he seems fine, ill keep keeping an eye on him but I've been watching him for 4 hours. Just a warning for those who haven't already, bird proof your room... in every little place your bird can get! Especially for Kaks, I'm going to really bird proof this room after all the "help me!" Posts, I'm sure that's getting obnoxious. I'm still worried about him though, and am watching him closely

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Not obnoxious, we just want to tell you proper information and we don't have the answers. Keep watching him and good luck we wish you well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts