Age these please

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Hello everyone I'm new to this and today became the owner of 2 baby cockatiels. The breeder I bought them from told me they were about six weeks old but looking online I'm not so sure? Any advise and tips for raising them would be appreciated. I purchased exact hand feeding formula and the guy told me to feed them 3 times a day. Thanks -Dustin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 335

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
they look 4-6 weeks to me, but some breeders on here will be able to tell you for sure. do you know how to handfeed?

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
I've hand fed baby birds before that a friend of mine had but I didn't raise them or kno their feeding schedule. I've only rehabilitated baby squirrels and was successful with that. So this is my first time with birds. I'm open to any advise!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I can tell you neither are 6 weeks. the bigger one is at the most 5 and the younger one is about 4 weeks. baby has been plucked due to lack of feathers on the head across the shoulders.
there is quite a difference in size,the large one was born first, then another egg or two was laid, and they either a)didn't hatch or b)they died, then the youngest one came along which = the difference in size.
at this age you should be introducing pellets(crushed)seed, water, and millet.
millet is the first thing you should put into the cage.
also add perches low into the cage,and toys so they can learn to perch, and play
my birds are climbing at 3-4 weeks of age, and are eating by the time they are 5-6 weeks.

3 times per day for feeding,(3-8 cc's) did the breeder use Kaytee? you should always use what the breeder was using to avoid any intestinal upset, which you don't want.
make the formula not thick but not runny, around 104 degrees(yes it's that hot), but NO hotter, as it will burn their crop.
you must pre-boil the water for at least 10 minutes to kill any bacteria in the water prior to feeding.

this is one of the best sites out there for raising cockatiels and babies

Cockatiel Cottage, Cockatiels, basic care and general information on the cockatiel, cockatiel information, cockatiels basic care, diet, nutrition, pellet diets, health, illness, behavior, taming, behavior problems, biting, sickness, symptoms of a sic

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Thank you I will look at the website and the breeder said he also had them on exact

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Dustin, no way are these babies 6 weeks! We have a clutch of 5 (the two youngest look almost identical to these guys, and they're pieds) and they looked like this when pulled from the nest, at 2-3 weeks. At 6 weeks even the youngest two are fully feathered, and able to fly, as well as able to eat millet and pellets. They're still getting baby formula (Neocare) one or twice a day.

Attached pic show the five, the youngest two are the uppermost pair.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Mike that's what I was thinking just from the research I've been doing. Neither of them are trying to perch and still are missing a lot of feathers. I gave them their first feeding tonight and they both ate great. Should I do more then three feedings a day because they are so young still or is that still enough? They also act like they haven't been held much by people or they were just taken from their parents because they try and nip and act scared when I reach for them.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Mike that's what I was thinking just from the research I've been doing. Neither of them are trying to perch and still are missing a lot of feathers. I gave them their first feeding tonight and they both ate great. Should I do more then three feedings a day because they are so young still or is that still enough? They also act like they haven't been held much by people or they were just taken from their parents because they try and nip and act scared when I reach for them.

They'll get over being scared, Dustin. My wife fed our babies, at first 4 times/day then three after a few days. So three should be enough, first thing in the morning, 8-ish then early afternoon then 10pm-ish. There'd be no harm in 4/day if they wanted it. They need to be kept war, we use a 15W heating pad under a towel at the bottom of an aquarium, with a non-sealing lid and that covered again with a towel. Obviously the wire for the heater needs to be accommodated.

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Well they still seem to be doing good ! They both are eating well I just hope they get enough. They have been eating around 5cc, mike I have a heating pad under half the tub they are in so they can move off if they get too warm. The bigger one has been flapping his wings I can't wait to see what they will look like :)
Now I just need names any ideas?

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Also how often should I be handling them besides feeding time? I don't know if holding them too much is bad for them.

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Thank you Wendy, but unfortunately I did not join this forum to be told I'm guilty for buying an un weined bird. I came for advise and to share my pets. That post you showed me just made that woman sound ignorant. She has obviously hand fed babies in the past. Money is not an issue, time is not an issue as I'm always home and neither is my lack of intelegence. I'm very capable of raising these birds and just because I haven't been breeding for 15 years does not mean a thing. Now.. Like I said before I'm open to any advise but please don't criticize me for buying un weaned birds because what's done is done. Thanks.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you Wendy, but unfortunately I did not join this forum to be told I'm guilty for buying an un weined bird. I came for advise and to share my pets. That post you showed me just made that woman sound ignorant. She has obviously hand fed babies in the past. Money is not an issue, time is not an issue as I'm always home and neither is my lack of intelegence. I'm very capable of raising these birds and just because I haven't been breeding for 15 years does not mean a thing. Now.. Like I said before I'm open to any advise but please don't criticize me for buying un weaned birds because what's done is done. Thanks.

Easy fellow!!! I didn't criticize you ONE bit, I simply gave you a thread to look at.

NO need to jump out of your socks. :)

OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
I said thank you to you Wendy :)
I was just saying the thread you sent me too made that person who posted it sound like she was criticizing people who had birds they were hand feeding.
I'm just looking for advise and majority of her post was not.
Said nothing about you thanks for trying to help.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Here's a 16 day old chick of mine!

2011-10-19_23-16-04_152.jpg

Here's one at 22 days old!

2011-10-19_23-15-28_554.jpg

So I would say the younger chick is under 3 weeks old and the older one around 4 weeks old. But depending on how the chicks were cared for in the first place would determine the growth rate as they can differ. I would have to say whomever you got them from took care of them poorly.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dustinn91

Oct 10, 2013
Thank you everyone they are doing great! The bigger one is milo and the baby is monte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 264

Most Reactions