Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies

***The other thing that clipping his wings does is it basically makes him rely upon you for everything...Birds hate to be on the floor, as they are the lowest thing in the room and they have no dominance at all when on the floor...So if his wings are clipped, you open up his cage, and he comes out and glides to the floor of your bedroom, this presents an entirely different dynamic with him than what you have now. You would likely be able to reach down slowly with one finger outstretched and he may very well step right up onto it, because he needs help getting off of the floor and back to his cage. These are the types of trust-building exercises you're able to do if his wings are clipped. If they aren't clipped, all he's going to do is keep continually flying away from you, and this only moves you backwards, as you try to get him back in his cage or get him down to interact with him, and then you start chasing him with a towel, etc. , and this just distances him further from you in his trust...

Just a note. I can't get my tiel OFF THE FLOOR. He waddles around exploring. He can fly, but couldn't until the last 3 months or so. Maybe he's just used to it, but we are always finding him on the floor and we gotta get him back on his perch. Loves the floor. and my feet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts