Agressive amazon advice needed

MaxTheParrot

May 6, 2017
Hi everyone, so this is a long story, I've never used a parrot forum before but I'm kind of hoping I might be able to get some help. Please no hate on this, my parents were badly informed and we all truly love Max so much, hence why I am so desperate to get a bond between us

My parents bought an amazon about 13/14 years ago after being wrongly informed that they were the best 'starter bird' they then went to a breeder and bought a chick, they were assured he had been hand reared and all this crap really.
Ofcourse when they got him home they realised it was all lies but they weren't going to just give up on him, so we all started trying working on him togther but obviously he bit them a lot and as first time bird owners They got scared.

He didn't really come out of his cage as much from then on, the only person he really trusted at all was my dad. I could give him tickles on his head through the bars on his cage but any further contact apart from that and hand feeding he would get really aggressive and just bite
My mum is a whole other story, he is very very agressive towards her, he doesn't even let her change his food and water bowl, but she is also very afraid of him now.
My dad was the only person max really trusted, even then it was limited. My dad could tickle him outside the cage, occasionally stroke his back and very occasionally max would step onto his arm
Unfortunately and unexpectedly my dad died a few months ago and now I am
The only person max can even get near too.
I would really love to try and get some kind of trust between us as I feel I am kind of all he has left and my dad would want me to do this.

The last few days I have been reaching into his cage, touching his toys and branches really slowly, and he has stopped reaching to bite me all the time, I feel like this is progress for him. I also have been opening his change door and feeding him by hand instead of just through the bars.

But I am wondering if anyone has any tips for taming a amazon parrot, I thought I should give the full background story so that you guys can get the jist of the situation.
I am willing to do pretty much anything, purchasing anything or stuff like that, I just want my little bubba to be happy, as I know he misses my dad a lot.
Thankyou for any help, it really means a lot
Keep in mind this is over a long period of time, max is now 14 years old and hasn't really had much human contact during his lifetime. Is it even possible to build a bond with him at this stage? He has so much life left!
Would it be better to hire some kind of bird trainer?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes what Flboy said! Amazons are very intelligent and there are ways to "read" their behavior. It may take time but with lots of patience your baby should come around. Also read as,ugh as you can on the Amazon forum threads. As you learn and become confident, your bird will become more comfortable.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Is it possible to go from zero to hero with an Amazon, yes! With an Amazon that has been sitting in your home for 14 years, yes!

But a ton of stuff needs to change and it starts with: It's NEVER the fault of the Amazon! It is ALWAYS the fault of the Humans! Starting from that vantage point allows the Humans to see what they have been doing wrong and correct!

As my good friends above have hinted, there is a ton of stuff already written within the Amazon Forum by one of the foremost rehabilitation experts Birdman666, and myself, an individual that has taken the trash left by other and brought them back to health and regained their trust and love.

So, pull a chair along side your Amazon and begin reading to him Out Loud, while you are take in a vast amount of information available. Start with Birdman666 Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum in which you will learn about what your Amazon has been trying to tell you all this time! 'Understanding Body Language.' The Thread should be read and re-read so that you know it as if it was your first language. Everyone in your family that wants to have a relationship with this Amazon needs to do the same.

The other Thread near the top of the Amazon Forum is: I Love Amazons - ... This Thread provides a detailed foundation of living and loving Amazons and what they need for a long and healthy life.

There is a ton of work ahead of all of you! There is the depth of knowledge which is spread across at least a dozen or more members here. All of who will provide /support your efforts. It all comes down to you and yours!

Your Amazon is waiting on you folks to figure out what he has been telling you! He will 'follow' your efforts and watch to see if you really follow though. Months from now, if you do it and keep doing it, he will begin rewarding you. But you are going to have to prove yourselves to him.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts