AHW amazon update - Kelly, Rosie, Helmet...

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
So with all the Max talk, we have not mentioned the Amazons! We had a potential adopter in yesterday, and both Kelly and Rosie were introduced, but no go for either. Rosie got himself way up high on a rack and just hung out there ignoring everyone. But he wasn't very talkative, so still no hot bananas! Think he just is refusing to yell it out cause he knows I'm trying to tape it.

Kelly was also introduced, but the people reacted with 'wow that is a huge bird'... granted Kelly is a big boy, but guess good thing they didn't see Max or the hyacinth! And Kelly was a tad nicer to me, but definitely not a fan. Much as Max snuggled up immediately, Kelly did not pin his eyes, but he refused to let me scratch his head, so finally forced the issue and he grumbled the entire time, but no bite. He did take treats from me, but promptly turned his head and dropped them to the floor. Literally... you could almost hear him say 'blahk' as he spit them out. He did take a piece of nutter butter, but only to open it up and lick off the peanut butter, then he threw away the rest with a turned up nose (if a bird can have a turned up nose!!). I think he will make such an awesome family member for whomever he picks out, he is a cool bird, just doesn't want to live with me.

Did not spend too much time with Helmet, have to admit, we half forgot him in the macaw entourage that I was introduced to. I talk to him thru his cage and he reacted the same way, he climbed around and hung upside down and showed off for me. We talked about him a little with Jeanne and she said he seems friendly in the cage but is absolutely terrified of hands. So, next visit we will see how things go with Helmet and more seriously discuss him with AHW. I still feel strongly that even if he is afraid of people and just wants to spend time in his cage or come out to stretch his wings, I'm fine with that. Just can't stand the thought of him spending whatever years he has left in a cage with no one to fuss over or spoil him. Its never too late to be loved, even if you're a 60+ year old Amazon :)

So here are some pics and videos from the time there that are not of Max :)

Kelly - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R36IK_uixgs"]Ahw 4.12(10) - YouTube[/ame]

Rosie ignoring our attempts for hot bananas - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfl69QWj9g"]Ahw 4.12(5) - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts