Air conditioning do's and dont's?

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
This will be my first summer with my baby Timneh. It's 99 degrees today and working in a hot kitchen a/c is a must for me. Right now I'm only have an ac upstairs but I'm worried the downstairs is going to get super hot right now 80. Is an ac in an adjacent room with no cool air blowing on Timneh ok? Thanks for the help! I don't think I was searching for the right thread. Didn't see anything for air conditioning.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Early Summer has raced across the North edge of the United States. Air Conditioners that normally sit unused until late June are running early this year.

One of the most important things to remember with heating /cooling systems is that Warm air raises and Cool air falls. Using that as a base, if you are air conditioning the upper floor (2nd floor) of your home and there is a hallway and stairway leading to the first floor, if the door is not closed to the room with the 'window mounted' AC unit, you are cooling to some extent everything that is open on the upper floor and then onto the lower floor. Clearly, the farther away from the unit, the less effect it will have on other areas.

Reality Number One: Where a full home or window shaker AC unit, setting it to the maximum setting is NOT GOING TO COOL THAT AREA OR ROOM ANY FASTER THAT SETTING IT AT THE TARGET TEMPERATURE!. The capacity of the 'unit' has everything to do with how quickly it can cool an area!

Reality Number Two: Setting the fan at MAXIMUM is not going to cool the area any faster! The faster the air passes the cooling fins the less time the air has to cool. The longer air lingers the cooler it will get! Now, once you have cooled most of the room, you can increase fan speed to push it further into the room or area.

Reality Number Three: Keeping the filter clear great improves the effectiveness of the unit. So, at the start of the cooling season, replace (Whole House Unit) the units filter. With a Window unit, clean the filter at a large sink or bath tub and remove all findings. Shake water off filter and install.

If you are dealing with a Window Unit - you can run that A/C unit in the same room as the Parrot! Just do not place them in the cool air stream!!! I like to set the vent guides so that the air is directed toward the ceiling. This more effectively cools a single room. It is very important to have a temperature gauge in the room you are cooling and to monitor it! Target a setting like 76 degrees or higher near where your Parrot is and adjust the temperature unit on the AC to maintain that temperature.

The further away from the Window unit the less effect the unit will be. At most a 'common' size unit is purchased to meet the needs of a single room. If you choice to purchase a larger unit, it is important to understand that the closer to the unit the cooler it will be and the further away the warmer it will be.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Steven,

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, at some odd moment at some crazy time in the wee hours of early Morning another point popped up!

A/C Window (shaker) style units that are used in the Great White North tend to age with both a loss in refrigerant (gas) and several electrical components that are used to store electricity. In truth, both full home and window units share this problem. The only difference is that the full home units commonly have (like automobiles) a charge port. They are also connected to your home's power source.

So, if your window shaker is over 10 years old, they naturally become more costly too operate as they require more electricity to feed the electrical components and the activation the cooling system. So What; well you can get a couple more years out of them by installing prior to needing them and run them on the fan only setting, low fan each day during the warmer days. Also, when you need the unit to cool, turn the fan on for a bit prior to turning the knob to cooling. With the fan running, switch it quickly to the cool setting.

Now, reality is playing here! The longer and harder the unit works to 'simply' turn on (operate) the cooling unit, the sooner it needs to be replaced. Once you have entered this process of 'cheating' to get it to run - life is quickly passing for this unit and its time to 'upgrade.'

Installing a window unit is a real pain and the larger the unit the more of a pain. There is a wonderful devise that is commonly sold next too or very near by the boxes of new A/C units! Its a Windowsill mounting plate!!!! I rate these things a great big 10 on a scale of life saving stuff to have!

NOTE: Please read the instructions! They will save you a ton of time and allow you greater flexibility in using it. Get it wrong and the pain in the butt rating goes higher consistent with how much you screwed-up!

Full Home units: At least every third year have a professional come and charge the unit and assure that it is operating properly. Two choices here, pay the professional or pay the Utility Company much more!

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Mate that’s terrific but you’d have to be able to fly to Brisbane. Oh that’s right, you can’t!

Most Reactions

Latest posts