so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
After having a new heart valve installed recently my Dr. is wanting to get my cholesterol down.
As a side note I found out how much the Hospital is charging my insurance.

It comes to a 1/4 of a million dollars or close enough.
One night in ICU.

Anyway It's something I don't want to repeat and so.

IS the Ninja Air Fryer safe if you have birds? ? ?

It is advertised as using a ceramic coating and not using Teflon.

It just looks like it would be a good way to reduce fat and still eat the foods I need.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
I went through the same issue last year and came to the conclusion after a bunch of research that ANY coated air fryer was a no go with birds. Best not to let the manufacturers themselves try to parse this question - apparently several ones have said in the past that they are fine only to have to later add “but will kill your birds” to the fine print. I’m sure there are some that really ARE fine. But for me I found it better to completely avoid the problematic technologies altogether and get one in this style, which has more of a glorified toaster oven format:

There is no non-stick anything in that one. That is the one I got. It’s a bit more expensive, yes. But bird safe, more room, more versatile, and just plain better. You can place the metal parts in the dishwasher if needed: no non-stick wash by hand coating required!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ninja ( and their actual manufacturer in CHina) were totally uncooperative when I tried chasing down the answer to the question. We are re-gifting ( or making a mathom of it) this xmas. We bought a all stainless Mueller toaster oven ( from Germany) and will just have to forego any heavy frying - we do little of that.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
Ninja ( and their actual manufacturer in CHina) were totally uncooperative when I tried chasing down the answer to the question. We are re-gifting ( or making a mathom of it) this xmas. We bought a all stainless Mueller toaster oven ( from Germany) and will just have to forego any heavy frying - we do little of that.

They (Ninja) we’re one of the companies that we’re not so hot on the info that I mentioned above. Companies like this are mostly keyed into what will hurt humans, when they are paying attention at all. I think some people told them that the coating they used would kill birds when it outgassed at high heat, and, eventually, they added an admission To that effect to the fine print. But again, the simple thing is just to purchase the model that doesn’t use anything but SS and Aluminum. Honestly I got the cheap Ninja toaster oven style one when I just wanted to see how useful it would be, but it has rapidly become an indispensable tool, and I don’t do ANY of the usual things with it. I can nearly replace my whole oven with it. So now I wish I had splurged on a Cadillac version from another company. I certainly will do so next time when the cheap one stops working. I will take a look at the one you listed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have three friends that have and are using this type of product. All are using them 'Outside' as a means of using, but not suffering the effects.

FYI: Saw a News flash that looked at the Non-Stick products on the market and found that even tiny cuts or breaks of the surface give off micro-plastic bits, plus the gasses that are dangerous for our Parrots and us. Long story short, we do not and have not used.

Most Reactions