Air purifiers ?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Am I the only one who doesnโ€™t have one ?

Do I need one? I have a Sun.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I mean, I think itโ€™s always a great idea to have one.
I use one I got from Walmart for $100. The filters are $25-35. I have to replace them every 2-3 months.
The side filters(which are plastic) are cleaned daily usually.
If you do get one, make sure you get HEPA air filters.

For one sun conure though, I think the dust it would collect would be minimal.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have a Levoit that I bought from Amazon. I absolutely love it. It helps so much during molting time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Am I the only one who doesnโ€™t have one ?

Do I need one? I have a Sun.
I have them because it cuts way back on bird dust all over my house and I have asthma so I need to keep my air as irritant free as possible. I'm not allergic to my birds. I wouldn't say they are necessary unless it's for your health reasons.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have them because it cuts way back on bird dust all over my house and I have asthma so I need to keep my air as irritant free as possible. I'm not allergic to my birds. I wouldn't say they are necessary unless it's for your health reasons.

What if my one sun comure were a cockatiel? I would love to get a cockatiel someday. Not in the best future. Would a single cockatiel require an air purifier. I had to birds it one and she stayed with me for a couple of weeks. I didnโ€™t notice anything.

I donโ€™t understand air purifiers. Which room would you keep it oh or your bird mainly stays in three different rooms?

Aldo how long do you have them run?

Do they make idiot proof models. I donโ€™t know anything about them

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What if my one sun comure were a cockatiel? I would love to get a cockatiel someday. Not in the best future. Would a single cockatiel require an air purifier. I had to birds it one and she stayed with me for a couple of weeks. I didnโ€™t notice anything.

I donโ€™t understand air purifiers. Which room would you keep it oh or your bird mainly stays in three different rooms?

Aldo how long do you have them run?

Do they make idiot proof models. I donโ€™t know anything about them
I have Honeywell air purifiers in each room. They draw the room air in through a prefilter in the front of the unit that removes dust and pollen and other larger particles. Then the air is drawn through a pleated HEPA filter that removes smaller airborne particles. Next the cleaned air is blown out the top of the unit. The prefilter catches a huge amount of greyish white debris and once every two weeks I remove the prefilter and vacuum all the dust off of it and put it back. They are truly dummy proof. A don't know if conures are dusty but Cockatiels are pretty dusty birds. Budgies are dustier than I thought they were. Ever since I began using these filters the amount of dust on my furniture has dropped significantly. You should use one in the room that the birds spend most of their time in, probably in the room where the cage is located and should be placed as close to the cage as possible without the exit breeze blowing directly on the bird.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have Honeywell air purifiers in each room. They draw the room air in through a prefilter in the front of the unit that removes dust and pollen and other larger particles. Then the air is drawn through a pleated HEPA filter that removes smaller airborne particles. Next the cleaned air is blown out the top of the unit. The prefilter catches a huge amount of greyish white debris and once every two weeks I remove the prefilter and vacuum all the dust off of it and put it back. They are truly dummy proof. A don't know if conures are dusty but Cockatiels are pretty dusty birds. Budgies are dustier than I thought they were. Ever since I began using these filters the amount of dust on my furniture has dropped significantly. You should use one in the room that the birds spend most of their time in, probably in the room where the cage is located and should be placed as close to the cage as possible without the exit breeze blowing directly on the bird.

If I ever invested in an air purifier, I would need at least two. One for where she sleeps and the other for where the day cage is. From I understand they cost hundreds of dollars.

Most Reactions

Latest posts