Alarm issue with Macaws

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hi guys Im getting my alarm installed today but I came to the realization that the birds would set off the alarm when they scream :-( Their voices set off the glass breaks on the sliding doors. How do you guys deal with this issue as every alarm person tells me they will set off false alarms. Im in a hurry to fix this issue as theft is a major concern for me. Thanks

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Maybe there's something they can do with the settings on the alarm system? Just ask the guys when they get there or call the alarm company. I'm sure you're not the first person with this issue :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh boy you sure do have a problem.
My only suggestion is that your birds need to be confined to a particular room without internal motion sensors.
Please be aware that if the system blares out a loud alarm, the sound could badly frighten your birds.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Yea completely bypass the glass breaks :-( Kind of worries me due to the fact that if they break the glass the alarm wont go off. Guess my main concern is that theft is usually done as inside jobs so I must murder the alarm guy LOL J/K but usually its set up that way. They will tip off the people that do the actual thiefs as to our weakness. Maybe Im just too petro

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Yea completely bypass the glass breaks :-( Kind of worries me due to the fact that if they break the glass the alarm wont go off. Guess my main concern is that theft is usually done as inside jobs so I must murder the alarm guy LOL J/K but usually its set up that way. They will tip off the people that do the actual thiefs as to our weakness. Maybe Im just too petro

I was think exactly the same. Just who do you trust today?

:grey:

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
I barely trust my shadow at times LOL. In a city like Miami it seems everyone is out to get you at times. I have them in my living room and there is no motion detector here as they would set it off. Fortunately theres not much that scares my birds. Alarms, Cats, Dogs, Kids LOL They are the scary ones in the house.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I barely trust my shadow at times LOL. In a city like Miami it seems everyone is out to get you at times. I have them in my living room and there is no motion detector here as they would set it off. Fortunately theres not much that scares my birds. Alarms, Cats, Dogs, Kids LOL They are the scary ones in the house.

They are the scary ones in the house !!!!!
I tend to agree :eek:

:grey:

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Well Alarms set. I just need to bypass the Glassbreaks when its on :-( But we were able to rig the sensor onto the sliding door. I was worried because I completely remove the sliding doors in order to take the cges out to clean and them to get sun. We rigged the sensor to the side as opposed to the top so I guess at least we have an alarm set up so I feel a little safer :)

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I use my motion and glass breakage sensors only when on vacation.. When I'm in the house or just out for the evening I use beams on perimeter walls inside the house and in the screened lanai( we like to leave the slider to the pool house open at night for the dogs..The beams are high enough that my dogs don't set it off and if you know where they are and avoid crossing them you can move freely around the house..And since my birds are caged when I'm not home they can't set off the beams..

The only issue with beams is if the bad guy knows where they are they can try to move around them....

vinnyb123

Mar 4, 2013
I have my own alarm company. I would recommend a shock sensor and contact on your slider. This way your protected and the sounds will not
Set the alarm off. You can also put motions in different rooms in the house. This is the setup at my house and have no issues. The alarm is no good if you have to bypass. Just like training parrots, you have to change the situation for the best.

chasroth

Mar 29, 2013
Greensburg PA
Parrots
GW Toby
My biggest fear is someone breaking in a stealing my birds. I think you would be pretty brave to stick your hand in a scared macaws cage but people are dumb.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Some know about Macaws and how to towel them quickly. Thats the problem. A scared macaw is no challenge to a motivated thief :-(

Most Reactions