Albino Question

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Since getting my adorable albino Budgie, I have decided, based on it's behavior, that it's a male. Since albinos have no color pigment at all, I was wondering how they tell each others' sex. When Budgies attract each other, their cere plays an important role. It shows their sex & breeding condition. Since Angel's cere is pink, like a juvenile, wouldn't females see him as a juvenile? His cere would not attract them. And a females cere would look the same pink. I'm sure his behavior would clue them in. But, I was wondering what others have thought, or noticed, about albino birds. Same question about albino cockatiels, eclectus, and any others whose colors play an important role. I have asked Avian Behavior Researchers that I know, and they have found this an interesting topic. I await their responses as well.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Actually, a female budgies cere will turn white, white with blue/tan, tan or brown with age where-as a males cere will remain pink throughout his entire lifespan.

I'm sure that birds can distinguish sex much in the same way that humans can... via body, voice and behavior. Birds also don't care too much about age... at least, males don't! Females on the other hand may not enjoy the immature behavior of a male.

Most Reactions