alexanderene vs indian ringreck

bobby

Apr 14, 2013
Birmingham, England
Parrots
Koko-Budgie === Amazon-Parrotlet===Bigggy-Blue and gold macaw===Chum-Green wing macaw
Hello!
I want to know which one shall I buy? An alexanderene parrot or indian parrot. Please dont look at it buy size, time or cost or care level. I have a very big house, hours to play with them (its my job as I am an ornithologist) and lots of money. Please tell me which one you would recommend and why.:rainbow1:

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Alexandrine - bigger beak, more mess. Morning and afternoon calls (most do). Loud high pitched squawks, very destructive (breaks toys/perches often), a lot more gentle than the IRN

Indian Ringneck - Smaller beak, tends to be nippier, can squawk often, high-pitched, not as destructive as the alexandrine.

I think that's the main differences between the two. But it may vary due to that each bird have their own personality. I may have left something out. This is going by experience as I own the two. : )

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Bobby.....

As you probably know they're both of the genus psittacula, making them first cousins.....

If I were looking for an Asian parakeet, I'd probably try to find a breeder who might have both & go visit to check their demeanor & see what I liked or disliked about each.....

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Both are known to be great talkers, they aren't known to be cuddly but they still love to hang out with you. Stay with you on your shoulder. They are independent so they can entertain themselves while you are gone. They love to chew and break wooden toys/shreddable toys.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I've had two IRNs and now have one Alex. These were the differences in my birds.

IRN- more active, smarter, more agile, better mimic, liked doing tricks, cuddlier, nippier, screamed more often, more aggressive, wore harnesses

Alex- calmer, gentler, less mischievous, more likely to do what I want, doesn't like being touched by hands, chews wayyy more, refuses harnesses

Really though individual birds will vary more than species differences. Find a bird you like and that likes you is what I always say. Something you might want to consider is that as a bigger bird, it's a lot more difficult to travel with an alex.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Have you heard of Derbyans? They are in the same family, that's what I would to with ;)

I would have trouble picking between a alexandrine and ringneck, both are amazing birds and highly intelligent. From what I've seen Indian ring necks are more eager to learn trick training while alexandrine are calmer.

Most Reactions