Alexandrian baby parrot 4 weeks old

Shalini

Apr 4, 2017
Hi everyone i am new here i bought baby parrot last saturday and firat time in my life i bought pet . My babys are active but yesterday morning my male baby is quite and sleeping a lot. I didnt understand what happen with him. Could anyone help me for that. When i create sound they react and when sounds off they sleep again

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
How warm are you keeping the brooder?

How often are you feeding formula?

How much per feeding?

What temperature is the formula?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also please post a picture

OP
S

Shalini

Apr 4, 2017
Breeder tell me to kept into a box so i dnt knw the temp of the box. I used to give him boiled chana dal r water of chana dal.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I'm sorry but your breeder lied. If you don't take drastic action to correct things your baby will die.

Please find a brooder and baby parrot formula immediately. You also MUST get a thermometer that can take the temperature of the formula.

Theone

Mar 1, 2017
India
Parrots
Indian ring necks
Re: 4 weeks old alexandrine

If your parrot is eating everything well and speaking a little bit everyday then it's fine, but if he is just sleeping and not doing any other activity then it's a problem. You need to check on his behavior cause baby parrots need rest and sleeping 7-8 hours a day is normal for them.

OP
S

Shalini

Apr 4, 2017
Thanks a lot for you guidence i will start parrot formula

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Your baby needs to be kept at at least 32.2 degrees Celsius.

The formula MUST be between 38.9 C and 43.3 C.

You need to feed about 10% of the baby's body weight as often as the crop empties.

OP
S

Shalini

Apr 4, 2017
My alexandrian baby parrot do potty in waterish type is that ok

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
No; your baby is very sick because you are not keeping it warm enough or feeding the right food. You MUST do what I've told you are your baby will die.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, I am so glad you are asking important questions.

Please follow SilverSage's recommendations as she is extremely knowledgeable and is trying to help you save your baby.

Sadly, many breeders do not give proper support to new owners and they must learn a lot very quickly.

OP
S

Shalini

Apr 4, 2017
Now my parrot is little bit fine thanks a lot . I want to know at what age I shift them in a cage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Do you have him in a brooder now at the proper temperature? If not then you are still killing him.

You cannot move him to a cage until he is fully feathered and starting to fly. If he isn't kept warm enough his body cannot properly digest food and the food will spoil in his gut and poison him.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
How warm are you keeping the brooder? How many times per day are you feeding them, and how much formula per feeding? How warm is the formula when you feed it?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
What do you mean what about food? Are you feeding them parrot formula or still dal? The dal is not right for them at all.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I'm sorry I don't understand; are you saying you don't know what to feed them? Please search "parrot hand feeding formula" online and order whatever brand of it can get to you the fastest if you can't find any in your local pet stores. Your babies are in EXTREME DANGER OF DYING right now. Contact your local veterinarians to see if they have any formula on hand.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
What are you feeding your birds? At 4 weeks old they are not yet weaned and will not eat solid food on their own, as if they were in the wild they would be still fed liquids by their mother. If you are feeding them solid food, like seeds or veggies and fruits and giving them water to drink, and are putting both the solid food and water in dishes for them, they are not eating or drinking and are dying!

A breeder would be hand-feeding a 4 week old baby parrot with a pipette, eye dropper, or plastic syringe at least 6 times a day, and would be hand-feeding them baby bird formula which they have to mix up with water, from the powder it comes in, and there is a lot that goes into this. It must be fed at 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit, any hotter will burn their crops, any colder can cause them to get very sick...This is awful, the breeder sold you 4 week old baby parrots and told you none of this?

Also, a 4 week old baby parrot has no feathers yet, only pin feathers, so they can't regulate their body temperatures, nor can they properly digest any formula or food if they are too cold. This is why they must be in a brooder...

Can you ease post a photo of them? And please tell us what you are feeding them and how often? This is very concerning, you've only had them for 4-5 days, but they will not live much longer with no formula, they are dying of dehydration and starvation! This is why they are very sick! Watery droppings is not okay, it's very, very bad!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Most Reactions