Alexandrine biting.

Kira

Mar 19, 2011
Media
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine
My Alexandrine is about 4 and a half months old. I was wondering if it is normal for them to bite when they don't get their own way? For example if he's happily sitting on my shoulder and I want him to go on my hand he will attack it straight away.

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
Ours is year old and does that to when he docent want come off ur shoulder

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
My Senegal is a year old as well and does the same thing. She will run from shoulder to shoulder and even down my back to avoid biting me though. This is her way of letting me know to back off, "I aint ready yet". But she will also do the same thing if I try and remove her from my wife's shoulder as well as pretty much any place unless she's ready to go. Sometimes, you just have to take the bite to force them to do what you want especially if we have to leave the house for some reason and she knows it's CAGE TIME.

But my Senegal doesn't really bite as much as pinch. She will give me a little pinch that you barely feel at all the first time you want her to do something she doesn't want to. But the second time around, she get progressively worse. That is her way of saying back off buddy. I've learned as she is also learning that after the second attempt at what ever, if she is still being stuborn, OUT COMES THE STICK! She hates the stick, but she is starting not to run away from it like she used to.

I've been working on her stick training lately because we are going on vacation for a couple of weeks and my nephew will be watching Tiki while we are gone. She isn't used to him so it will be easier for him to get her back into her cage at night and if he has to leave for some reason. Without that, he probably wouldn't let her out of her cage at all.

OP
Kira

Kira

Mar 19, 2011
Media
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine
My Senegal is a year old as well and does the same thing. She will run from shoulder to shoulder and even down my back to avoid biting me though. This is her way of letting me know to back off, "I aint ready yet". But she will also do the same thing if I try and remove her from my wife's shoulder as well as pretty much any place unless she's ready to go. Sometimes, you just have to take the bite to force them to do what you want especially if we have to leave the house for some reason and she knows it's CAGE TIME.

But my Senegal doesn't really bite as much as pinch. She will give me a little pinch that you barely feel at all the first time you want her to do something she doesn't want to. But the second time around, she get progressively worse. That is her way of saying back off buddy. I've learned as she is also learning that after the second attempt at what ever, if she is still being stuborn, OUT COMES THE STICK! She hates the stick, but she is starting not to run away from it like she used to.

I've been working on her stick training lately because we are going on vacation for a couple of weeks and my nephew will be watching Tiki while we are gone. She isn't used to him so it will be easier for him to get her back into her cage at night and if he has to leave for some reason. Without that, he probably wouldn't let her out of her cage at all.
Thank you. It good to know it's not just him having an attitude. Lol I don't know if you see the picture of him but he has a huge sharp beak lol. He knows who's boss. I guess I just have to show him I'm not scared of his bites. Hope you have a good vacation and Tiki will behave for your nephew.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol i never ask nut to come of my shoulder, cos of the bites or the runnin about, i just lower my shoulder to table or her sleep cage!

far less confrontational, keeps the stress levels down and i've notice the random nips throughout day are alot less near zer0 :) with doin this

Most Reactions